DXHI

Looking at my local dealer, I have the options of

Summit Series
Browning
Liberty
Fort Knox
Champion
Bighorn

What options / upgrades have you enjoyed? What is a must? What is a waste of time?

Liberty is one of the best out there. Had mine since 2005. Only issue I have with mine, is that it's too small. It wasn't at the time, but it slowly became too small. Now I need one much bigger.

When I purchased mine I was looking for something that would keep my kids out of my guns and make it a little more difficult for a thief to get away with my stuff. I ended up with an 80 gun safe from Cannon. I don't even have 20 guns in there and it is full. Need to go as big as you can. If you are really worried about thieves cutting it open then you're probably going to have to sell a child or mortgage your house to be able to afford one of those.

I didn't vote because I don't know much about the brands listed. I think if we have our next house built, I am going to have a "closet" made like a safe, with the safe door and metal walls behind the Sheetrock. I will probably have the house built in such a way that the door can be hidden behind a bookshelf or something.

I think they shrink after you buy them, or maybe the guns reproduce in the dark like rabbits!! either way--someday your gonna need 2, or 3, or a whole room full of them.

-- I feel the fire rated ones are a waste of $$/scam, boss had a "90 minute fire safe" --his house burned about 4 years ago and the safe was in tact, but all the plastic/composite and wood was burned inside-- sure the safe company replaced the safe for free, but all his guns were trashed beyond repair

buy the largest one you can afford and that will fit in the location you are going to store it (not in your garage), bolt it to the ground, back it up to a wall (concrete if possible), and then hide it behind a false wall or door--and buy a huge dog!

Last edited:
After looking extensively at safes last year I decided on a liberty.

I think Fort Knox makes a technically better safe, but how much better for how much more money I didn't love. I wanted as much USA made as possible, with a good fit and finish and as affordable as possible. Let's face it, these are not bank vaults. If someone is coming into your house with 5 guys and an angle grinder they will get your stuff, whether it's a Fort Knox or a 12 gauge cannon. If you want better than a liberty/Fort Knox I would be looking at a vault door to a secure room.

Most of your burglars want to get in and get out quick as possible, grabbing things they can carry. They will usually fill a pillow case with jewelry, electronics, and guns you might leave in the nightstand. And yes, they know about hiding stuff in the a/c collector and freezer. Most carry a pair of vice grips or channel locks, and are not prepared to gain entry to a safe.
Being a New Orleans Police Officer for thirty years, I have investigated hundreds of residence burglaries, and quite a few business burglaries. I have never seen a safe attacked in a residence, and several attacked in a business. Entry was not made into any safe in a business, but attempts with pry bays, sledge hammers, etc damaged the exterior of the safe. No entry gained. You should make sure your safe is fire rated, especially if you live in a Rural area that has a volunteer fire department, and response times might be a little longer than a full time fire departments response.
I have owned several gun safes, all of which had the spin dial to gain entry, except my last one. I now have a Browning fire rated safe with the touch key pad. I like the key pad better, because it is easier to open under low light conditions. If you miss the spin dial combination by one number (one tick mark), you have to start all over.
My old aged eyes and low light don't make for easy and quick opening of a dial combination type safe. Touch pads can be opened in less than 10 seconds. I have had the Browning touch pad for 12 years, and only had to replace the battery twice.

Last edited:
BUY as much safe as you can afford. STAY away from safes sold at stores like Costco. Junk. Remember that safe is holding a bunch of your cherished property that you prefer to not be stolen. I am on my second Fort Knox safe. Didn't get rid of the first one, needed a second one to hold the additional toys. Most burglars are in and out as quickly as possible. A good safe bolted into the ground gives me peace of mind.

Get the one that has the internal layout that works best for you. Pick the size you think you need and then purchase the next size up.
The size you need is likely twice the size you think you need, even after doubling your current need. And make sure its tall enough. I have trouble getting 28" barreled shotguns in mine, and my Swedish Mauser has to be disassembled to fit. It would be nice to have some LED lighting that comes on when you open the door.

I voted liberty. For one, I have one. Second I would look at some info on the interwebs. I had a local locksmith and safe place I went to to ask my questions on they gave me some materials to look at to help me decide on a safe.
Long story short, if you are getting a safe for any actual security...buy American. A lot of the bassproshop brands including browning, safes from Costco and dicks are imported garbage and can simply get pried open fairly easily.
Look at the quality and thickness of the door metal as well. The cheaper the safe, more than likely the thinner the doors metal thickness is and the more composite is in there.
Lastly, I have the fatboy jr.. It fit my budget and I recommend bolting that thing to the ground. It's not super thick metal or anything, there's definetly better safes, but it's still heavy enough that the weight of the door tips the whole safe plus it's harder for someone to steal 700 lbs of safe if it's lagged to the ground

I've seen some safe breaching videos, and it seems a lot harder to pry one open than to just cut the skin apart with a carbide saw. Get it anchored to the floor, next to a wall, or even in a closet. Most gun safes are just pretty boxes that keep the amateurs out.

When my house was robbed, the ------ cut my safe open with a grinder and standard .045" cutoff wheel . Metal working tools defeat metal , funny huh ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a rotary dial on mine, I do have to put my glasses on to operate it but I have heard about electronic malfunctions with the keypads . I will never regret buying the biggest safe they offered. In fact I would like another sitting next to it now. I bought an Iron Man Safe made locally here in Idaho and am very happy with it. It is fire rated also but in the event of a fully engulfed house fire I don't believe any of them will protect your firearms. They will be ruined. That is the information I was tought when I was a volunteer firefighter. Maybe someone could chime in on that as I don't have any first hand experience. They Fire Chief also said the best place to put a safe is next to a concrete wall if you have one in your home. I have kids and they have friends over all the time, knowing my guns are locked up gives me piece of mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.