Gun Range Pa.

Waynzee

Hi Fellas, how about that target backing the PA. Game Commision puts up on the pistol and rifle range. How does your staples work on that stuff when putting up paper targets???

Are you implying they cant get that right either? lol

Hi Yobuck, ya know not so long ago the Game Comm. put up pressed wood board backing and at least you could get a staple to stick in it. This stuff the G.C. has now isn't all that great for putting staples through. And I probably would not be saying anything if I didn't stick myself with a staple trying to hold on the back of that **** stuff trying to put my staple through.

I use small wood screws on it. I take my drill and zap em right in. I would think tacks would probably work pretty easy too.

I use small wood screws on it. I take my drill and zap em right in. I would think tacks would probably work pretty easy too.

Yep, you're right, so now I've got to go buy some tacks or a cordless drill and wood screws. It always seems to be more expense to the hunter or in this case target shooter with the G.C..

You could get by with a regular screw driver. Start the screws into existing holes from previous shots, they don't have to be in very far just to hold up paper. I shoot the shoot-n-c targets especially if your shooting a smaller caliber so if there are other people there you don't have to wait for them to be done to see where your hitting.

I wish they would stretch some more out to at least 300 yards. Some people do shoot over 100. :rolleyes: Your right about the money. Any way they can squeeze more out of us they will

Id be thinking of it as simply a place to shoot, and be taking along my own
target frame I could setup in front of the permanent one. Wont be long till the post
get shot off anyway.

target frame I could setup in front of the permanent one. Wont be long till the post
get shot off anyway.

Where I live in N.E. PA. there is a lot of shooting up the post and 2x4s that make the frame. Out of state guys come here and blast up everything. They leave their targets and empty cases all over the place. A Game Commissioner told me he took out 3 pick up truck loads of garbage from the one range. I believe it, the last time I was there the shooting benches were even shot up. So, yep it won't be long and you'll have to bring your own target frames and shooting benches.

The frames where I shoot are steel I beams and angle iron. They are very scarred up but they don't look to be going anywhere soon. Overall it was very clean. No trash at all other than muzzleloader sabots and shotgun wads. Not even a gum wrapper.

jwall, that's good, sounds like the fellas around there have some respect for your gun range.

get shot off anyway.
^^^This. I use a concrete form pin (steel rod with holes drilled through it up and down) then screw a piece of plywood to it then staple my target(s) to it before I even leave the house. Then at the range, I just walk out and stick it in the ground.

^^^This. I use a concrete form pin (steel rod with holes drilled through it up and down) then screw a piece of plywood to it then staple my target(s) to it before I even leave the house. Then at the range, I just walk out and stick it in the ground.

You should not have to do that. This sorry *** P.G.C. should have these gun ranges fixed up so a fella don't have to bring his own target. We as hunters who use these gun ranges need to get in the P.G.C. face about the lack of care for the place where we target shoot.

You should not have to do that. This sorry *** P.G.C. should have these gun ranges fixed up so a fella don't have to bring his own target. We as hunters who use these gun ranges need to get in the P.G.C. face about the lack of care for the place where we target shoot.
Waynzee, I do it partly because it is quicker and partly because it takes away any chance of the target stand being shot out. By the way, I drove past the shooting range near Wexford PA game lands about 5 weeks ago and there was a sign that said the range is closed until Sept 1 for work being done to it. I imagine if it is down for over a month that it is getting a complete facelift with benches and the like. So it isn't like they are letting the ranges go to waste.

I pass a PGC gun range going back and forth to work. Stop there at times out of convenience. Mostly go to the local gun club which is in the opposite direction. $35 a year for covered solid benches and targets out to 300 yards. With all the money we have wrapped up into hunting these days, what's another 35 bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.