Greenhorn Muzzleloader

twentybelow

Needing advice for first muzzleloader. I have four kids so I dont have deep pockets. My wife is active army and we have recently been stationed at Fort Knox Kentucky. I grew up hunting whitetail with my grandfather in Northern Wisconsin but it was always with a 30-06 or 30-30. Here at Fort Knox I have scouted for countless hours and it is like nothing i have seen before. There is a literal refuge of mature whitetails here because the season is severely restricted in some areas and you are only allowed to use a shotgun or muzzleloader, and sometimes ONLY muzzleloader. I have spent alot of quality time with my slug gun at the range but need a muzzleloader to take advantage of my "Tier 1" hunting rights. Any advice is welcome.

I bought my first muzzy this year. Searched high and low for input. TC triumph is what I bought. U can find used ones and new for reasonable. 3-400 bucks. Use Blackhorn 209 and 250gr Barnes. With the blue sabot. That's what I settled on and I was about an inch at 100 yards. Dropped a nice 6x6 elk this year. One shot one kill for me!!!

Great thing to have and get close to animals. Lots of options but it loads easy cleans easy and has a good reputation. I would sell you mine but I might be hooked. Look up ENCORE on here. He's a great resource. Hell he might chime in when he sees anything on smoke poles!!!!! Hahahaja

Good luck. Let me know if I can help

Take a look at tge new Redemption. The guys that build it worked at TC for years. Has a number on neat features including a breech plug that is held in place by a collar that screws on to threads on the outside of the barrel. Takes 3 minutes to clean and has lifetime warranty and is American made.

Take a good look at the T/C Impact, there are quite a few shooters who've bought that rifle and its accurate. The Impact will shoot any BP or BP substitute without any required modifications or having to change breech plugs. CVA rifles require a special breech plug if you ever want to shoot Blackhorn 209 propellant. The T/C Impact won't bust the bank.

Don't let some behind the counter guy talk you into powerbelt bullets for what ever rifle you buy. There are WAY to many good bullets to choose from, than to shoot junk.

Take a good look at the T/C Impact, there are quite a few shooters who've bought that rifle and its accurate. The Impact will shoot any BP or BP substitute without any required modifications or having to change breech plugs. CVA rifles require a special breech plug if you ever want to shoot Blackhorn 209 propellant. The T/C Impact won't bust the bank.

Don't let some behind the counter guy talk you into powerbelt bullets for what ever rifle you buy. There are WAY to many good bullets to choose from, than to shoot junk.

Hahahahah. See. Told ya

Don't let some behind the counter guy talk you into powerbelt bullets for what ever rifle you buy. There are WAY to many good bullets to choose from, than to shoot junk.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% on this there are much better bullets out there I use a Barnes 250 grain and have been happy all the way from groups to clean kills.

Good Luck

Thanks all for the info. After much thought and eye strain I have made a decision. I ordered a T/C Impact from Elizabethtown Rod and Gun in Kentucky. "Thomas" sold me a shotgun a few months ago and today was trying to talk me out of putting a 6x24x50 bargain bin scope on the Impact with see through rings. I will probably go ahead and do it anyway despite the advice of wiser men. I will post again when its all together.

Everything is somewhat together. The scope is obnoxious. I need to get a thinner rail to use my iron sites but i have some other hardware i think will work. All thoughts, concerns, gripes are welcome.

Attachments

• 20141121_201436.jpg
    20141121_201436.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 104
Update:

Made it to the range. Loading blue store bought sabots. Took awhile to fumble through the rookie stuff. 6x24x50 scope was almost dead on center out of the box but very low. Adjusted up a bit. It is now at least a 50 yard gun. Next trip to range it will be a 100 yard gun. Loading 70 grains of powder substitute to start. It is definitely a process compared to regular shells/cartridges but I am lovin the ability to dial down the powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.