Gratuity question

338savage

Ok so being I never been on a guided hunt befor just wondering how you guys split up your gratuity with the guide,cook, and outfitter or just give it all to one ?

The outfitter gets all the money for the hunt from you, so don't tip the outfitter. I generally give the guide 10% (industry average is 8-12%). I've given the cook $40-50 in the past......it's a nice gesture since they don't expect anything
And that's 8-12% of the cost of the hunt not the total with tags and hunting fees ?

I was once offered an opportunity to guide in alaska for an outfitter lodge...i would have been a lone point person on a river for clients to fly to when fish numbers showed good counts...fight off bears and maintain trails...all for minimum wage(30 years ago)...so I asked about tips..i was not allowed to collect tips from clients....
I had to pay for my own flights to and fro Alaska...so I would have made a cool $1000...for three months work......
So I declined....
Just saying..gotta be cautious handing out tips to employees..could cost them their job.....if in doubt ask "your guide"...outfitters like to keep monies designated for other employees....

And that's 8-12% of the cost of the hunt not the total with tags and hunting fees ?
Yes, you are correct.
I have a mountain goat hunt on Kodiak Island this October. The outfitter mentioned gratuity fees of 8-12% in letter after I drew a tag. I typically talk to the outfitter and ask what do they suggest I tip the guides. I've always been told "whatever you feel comfortable with". The guides really work for their money, so I always plan on 10%, but have given more or less depending upon their service and not the outcome

Agree service is an important component in figuring tip. Final amt will also depend on cost of hunt - i.e. percentage for 5K will not be the same as a 50K hunt even if service provided is comparable.

Tipping seems to vary widely but 10% to the "guide" does come up a lot.
I have been in camps with hunters who didn't believe in tipping and felt no obligation to pay more than the actual cost(s) of the hunt.
I hunted in a bear camp with a wealthy businessman who had hunted all over the world. When I asked him how much he intended to tip, he said that his guide was the outfitter himself and therefore didn't get tipped. He tipped ZERO.
I've seen guys give $100 tips on a $5,000 hunt and thought I was crazy for offering 10%.
Personally, I'll tip 10% even when the service or hunt sucks because I feel obligated to, same as I feel when dining in a restaurant. Sadly, this only encourages lousy service.

Here's a question - how much do you tip when hunting in a high fence enclosure? The "guide" doesn't really do anything but expects a nice tip. I've shot several fat hogs for the meat in these places in the east. I give that "guide" the tip too but it isn't "earned".

I've been on several guided hunts, I normally tip my guide 10%, if I have a packer $500-$1000 depending on the length of the hunt. If we have a cook or someone to clean up $100 each. Every hunt is different depending on price and length of the hunt. If your Sheep hunting and have a packer they do a lot of work and deserve a good tip. I never give the tips to the Outfitter because I've heard that they keep a portion of the guides tips and the guide may not be making $100 per day.

This is a timely post as I am leaving for a hunt in 20 days and am working to get all my ducks in a row. This is my first real travel/pay hunt, so I had budgeted for 20%, as that is what I normally tip at restaurants, etc....so to see that 10% is a solid tip in this venue, is great news.

Question for you guys on how you would handle this. I'm going on a mountain goat hunt in October. A friend of mine put this trip together, found the outfitter and asked me to come along. We drew our tags and finalized our dates, flights, etc. I found in the contract for the hunt the cost was now $1,000 more than what we were quoted. I went back and found the email the outfitter sent my buddy and it stated "the price of the hunt is "x", bring a buddy along and it goes down to "z". Long story short, the outfitter won't honor what he stated in the email. Starting saying that price only covered him guiding us and not the 2 other guides he's bringing along. Needless to say, I'm ****ed. This is probably a once in a lifetime hunt for my friend and the $1,000 has more of an effect on my friend than it does me. For me, this is all about being a man of your word and principle. The outfitter knows how I feel because I made it very clear that I was not happy, yet he's sticking to his guns.
I figure I'll tip the 2 other guides myself and not the outfitter/guide and tell him why I'm doing it. If he said, hey I made a mistake, how about we meet halfway, then I'd be ok with it........but he didn't.
Your thoughts

Not really about tips just Something I have always wondered about? If you are on a 5 day hunt, and tag out the first day, does the guide get paid for the remaining 4 days he was booked to guide you? What are guide actually paid for their work from outfitter?? For me as far a tips, the 10% rule of thumb is just a starting point! If the guide is great I might give him 12-15% if we are the last to leave camp & first to return at night I will adjust accordingly!

I found in the contract for the hunt the cost was now $1,000 more than what we were quoted. I went back and found the email the outfitter sent my buddy and it stated "the price of the hunt is "x", bring a buddy along and it goes down to "z". Long story short, the outfitter won't honor what he stated in the email. Starting saying that price only covered him guiding us and not the 2 other guides he's bringing along. Needless to say, I'm ****ed. This is probably a once in a lifetime hunt for my friend and the $1,000 has more of an effect on my friend than it does me. For me, this is all about being a man of your word and principle.
Your thoughts
My thought is if he pulls this before the hunt what rules will he try to change when you arrive? Was the initial price for 2 on 1 guiding? Is the hunt now a 1 on 1 guided hunt if is so the extra expense might be worth it? Why is he bringing 2 extra guides if he was planning on guiding you both by himself, the numbers don`t add up that will be 3 guides in camp?But he should of been plain in his contract I would of thought?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.