Got one roosted

jmason

Not a big deal for a lot of you but it is for me. I really stink at these turkeys!:D Hoping to turn the tables this year. Wish me luck boys!:)

I was out yesterday and saw more hunters than turkeys. It was a beautiful day though. Picked up a deer tick who latched on for a free lunch.

What do the Primos boys say "Roosted ain't Roasted" LOL. I had them gobbling all over today but there where just too many hens around. Everytime we would call the hens would give us hell. Gobblers flew down and headed off w/ the hens. Oh well we got one last monday. About a 20 pound bird w/ a 9.5 inch beard and 1.25 in spurs. My turn to shoot but I would have been busted if I moved and my Brother-in-Law was in a better position so he got the gobbler.

I finally got back out today. Left home about 2:15 and drove through the rain and then go tto the PawPaw bends and there was a sign that said "Road Washed Out". It was hard to tell if that was true being as the creek seemed to be flowing right down the road. Put it in four wheel drive and went with the flow. Finally got to where I wanted to be and parked. Water was everywhere. Finally set up along the river and the edge of a field. About an hour later I get a turkey to gobble. He starts to come down the mountainside slowly and apparently some hunter heard him and got between him and me and waited and took a shot at the gobbler. Fortunately, the a$$hole was just as lousy a shot as he was a hunter and missed, but it did ruin my hunt. It started to rain so I moved to another place but no longer had much enthusiasm for hunting.

That's BS!!! Glad he missed BB!

BTW what are PawPaw bends? I've read your reference to them a couple times.

On the Potomac River west of Hancock, Maryland are a series of really huge horseshoe bends know as the PawPaw Bends. On the Maryland side of the river is the Green Ridge Forest where I hunt.

A Pawpaw is a fruit??? that grows on a pawpaw tree. They are about the size of a lemon and ripen in the fall. I have not ever tried to eat one but people make jelly out of them. The trees have really large spear shaped leaves and grow in groves. There seem to be male trees and female trees being as only a few of the trees will actually have fruits.

The state line for Md -WVa is the high water mark on the south side of the Potomac. Sometimes I will wade across the river and shoot geese from the West Virginia shoreline out in the river that is Maryland. Hard to say which state hunting license I need then. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.