Good substitute for Meindl Boots?

I think these are pretty close to the Perfekt.

Same here. I just had Dave Page in Seattle, (the west coast cobbler that Zamberlan recommends) resole one of my two pair. Not just anybody can do that work, but he does a great job!
PS- I have a pair of Zamberlan 980 Outfitter uninsulated boots in size 8.5 that have about 25-30 miles on them that I'd let go for about $175 just to get them out of my way. I have bad feet and these just did not fit quite right so I went up a full size. I paid $400 when I bought them a few years back and they need to go to someone to get some use out of them before my wife turns them into flower pots.

I see Cabelas no longer carries Meindl boots; I love mine and want to get another pair. Due to recent ankle surgery and a T/N joint fusion, I would like a high top boot with a stiff sole and waterproofing. 400 gram insulation would be a plus. What do you guys recommend? I was looking at Kenetrek, but got turned off by the bad reviews (waterproofing sucks, they fall apart, etc.).

What do you guys who pound the backcountry recommend?
I was/am in the same boat. Bought some Meindl Denali's from Cabelas years ago and is an amazing boot! Killer boot for the price, was the best value out there. I finally wore mine to the point I needed replacements. I was heart broken to find they no longer make that boot. I lucked out when looking around and found a like new pair on E Bay for a good price, so I've got a couple more years before I have to make the switch to another.

The closest Meindl USA has is the Vakuum hunter. Very close but is an 8 eye vs a 9. The Comfort fit Extreme would be a great choice for ankle support. I'll probably get a pair of those next.

Last edited:
Hi there from the northern area of North America, known as Canada. Irish Setter boot, by Red Wing Shoes. 400 Thinsulate, Gortex waterproof,11" high for ankle and lower leg support. A bit pricey at just under 200 buck Cdn. It is a very stable sole with great support. A bit of time to get limbered up but fit great with no spots that rub the wrong way when hiking steep terrain. I don't know who owns them now but I purchased them from Wholesale Sports. I put all my heavy hiking boots in the oven at 175 for 30 min. to heat up, then apply and rub in any semi hard wax and rub it in. This makes it easier to break in the stiffness and softens the leather a bit. Have a good day from the north.

Check out whites boots. Just got a pair of lochse 400 g primaloft off of camofire. Feel great, supportive and comfortable around the house. Time will tell

I see Cabelas no longer carries Meindl boots; I love mine and want to get another pair. Due to recent ankle surgery and a T/N joint fusion, I would like a high top boot with a stiff sole and waterproofing. 400 gram insulation would be a plus. What do you guys recommend? I was looking at Kenetrek, but got turned off by the bad reviews (waterproofing sucks, they fall apart, etc.).

What do you guys who pound the backcountry recommend?
The USA Meindl site has great boots. I have a pair of the Cabela's and a pair of these https://meindlusa.com/collections/all-products/products/vakuum-hunter. The fit is the same but the straight Meindls are uninsulated. The Scheens are really great and have a similar fit.

Recent Posts