Good Experience Finding Discontinued Magazine:

Radman

I recently bought an older, discontinued rifle in excellent condition but needed an extra magazine. After exhaustive searching for days I found ONE listed at GunClips. I called them, the owner answered & not only fixed me up he also located me 2 other mags for another rifle! Nice folks that really helped me out.

Good to know. I lost my only magazine for my Savage model 1919 NRA match 22LR and it took me 10 years to find a replacement. Glad I found one, but not happy that it cost my double the $25 I paid for the rifle in 1973.

Good to know. I lost my only magazine for my Savage model 1919 NRA match 22LR and it took me 10 years to find a replacement. Glad I found one, but not happy that it cost my double the $25 I paid for the rifle in 1973.
I looked into getting a second magazine for my 70's browning a bolt .22lr. The rare times you can find them, they run $150-$200 😳 that's more than the gun cost new!

A couple of times in my history, I have passed on the purchase of a nice, old and rare rifle due to it not having its magazine and the inability to locate one anywhere. One such gun dealer wanted a high price for one rifle, and when I pointed out replacing the missing mag would add $2-300 more after the purchase, he simply scoffed.

I was gifted an old family heirloom Savage Sporter in .25-20 several years ago. It was an early variation of what became the model 23C but has no model markings other than "Savage Sporter" on it. It used the rounded front "cheese grater" magazines which were basically held in by friction and therefore would commonly fall out of the mag well while walking through the woods, especially with a full mag. Because of this, and limited aftermarket support at the time, these mags are rare and hard to find. It took me a lot of searching, digging through boxes of magazines at gun shows, and internet searching to finally find one on eBay several years ago...for close to $100. While the gun itself doesn't have a lot of intrinsic value, it has even less with no magazine, so I went ahead and bought it. I've seen those mags sell for close to $200, which is crazy.

A couple of times in my history, I have passed on the purchase of a nice, old and rare rifle due to it not having its magazine and the inability to locate one anywhere. One such gun dealer wanted a high price for one rifle, and when I pointed out replacing the missing mag would add $2-300 more after the purchase, he simply scoffed.
I know exactly where you're coming from. I did the same thing on a nice .30-06 once because at the time I couldn't find a magazine for it.