Gone Dall sheep hunting!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
My son and I just arrived in Fairbanks, Alaska. We'll be be back August 19.

Dave King will be available meanwhile.

Well, that's hunting! My knees didn't make it past the second day of hunting before I had to quit. My plan to limit the horseback riding was fouled up partly by all the snow-melt from the upper elevations running into the rivers. In addition the rugged, rocky, uneven terrain just beat up my knees more than I expected. Same problem as three years ago. Darn! I have no problem with my knees normally. It's just the horses and the rugged Alaskan terrain.

My son, Andy, continued hunting for the rest of the week. He worked hard with his guide but never saw a legal full-curl ram. At one time he drew down at 495 yards on a ram that was so close to being legal. Finally decided it didn't quite make it. Altogether we saw about 15 different rams and many times that in ewes and lambs. Spectacular country! Andy had a 40-yard encounter with a mother grizzly and her two cubs. We saw moose and caribou.

Oh, well, lots of other good hunts coming up soon. Here's a picture taken from the bush plane as we departed the area.
View

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Len

Good to have you back, sorry to hear about the knee problem(s).

Welcome back to you and Andy!!

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.