Garmin Xero - update

I have a question I have yet to see asked. At my gun range we shoot thru large (5ft) culverts to the target. They are approx. 3ft in front of a rifles muzzle. Labradar chronos will NOT work in this setup. I did call Labradar to confirm. Do you think that the Garmin Xero will have the same issues?

I have a question I have yet to see asked. At my gun range we shoot thru large (5ft) culverts to the target. They are approx. 3ft in front of a rifles muzzle. Labradar chronos will NOT work in this setup. I did call Labradar to confirm. Do you think that the Garmin Xero will have the same issues?
Why are the culverts there? Noise abatement?

I shot my .204 Ruger yesterday. LabRadar will not pick up my bullets but the Garmin did every time. Only issue was i was shooting offhand (practicing at 100 yards) so I had to put in on a piece of wood so it was withing 15" of my rifle.

I shot my .204 Ruger yesterday. LabRadar will not pick up my bullets but the Garmin did every time. Only issue was i was shooting offhand (practicing at 100 yards) so I had to put in on a piece of wood so it was withing 15" of my rifle.

You probably have more distance available than the instructions indicate. I set my Garmin 24" behind the muzzle, and it never missed a shot.

You probably have more distance available than the instructions indicate. I set my Garmin 24" behind the muzzle, and it never missed a shot.
My problem was vertical. I had it sitting on the shooting bench while I was standing and it missed the first two shots I took. I then took a wooden block about 18" long, set the block vertically, and then put it on that block - read everything after that.

The reason for accurate placement in relation to the muzzle (this is for all RADAR based chronographs) is because the actual muzzle velocity must be back calculated. The bullet is picked up X amount of distance after it is fired. Even on our large radars we need to accurately measure the x, y, z axis the muzzle sits from the trigger and radar. This is important because the bullet starts to slow down immediately. (believe it or not even something "on the muzzle" like a MagnetoSpeed isn't immune to this but the distance makes it irrelevant). Placing the Garmin and other Radar Chronographs as precisely you can to where the device thinks it is helps improve the accuracy of the reading. These devices use that distance to back calculate the actual muzzle velocity vs the measured velocity. You can see this in the LabRadars** by looking at the log files and you will see that the measured velocity and the reported muzzle velocity are slightly different by a couple FPS.

**Edit: The measured velocity of the first down range data point. The data point at "0 point" is actually calculated not measured.