Game "stocking" footwear

Backcountry_IDN

I posted this on rokslide, but want to see everyonese opinions.

I've seen many times on hunting shows that they need to get in closer and they switch footwear. Whether they don't use any and just go plain socks or they slip into gym shoes or something of that nature.

I'm wanting opinions and experiences from everyone that does and doesn't do this. What works better? Etc.

I'm thinking of just using a new pair of gym shoes since they're lightweight anyways.

Thanks everyone

-pw

I have a couple guys that archery hunt the ranch and they use a slip over type called a sneak boot made by sneek ez or sneektec. Amazon carries them for around $40. They say they work really well in the dry crunchy timber. Not very durable but they only wear them when getting in close.

I did this once. Arizona desert mule deer. It doesn't really matter what you do. Just don't leave your boots "in a spot" and stalk a bit further". Load your boots in your back and stalk. As I recall, I used wool socks. They were fine but it didn't translate into a dead deer. Story of my life. Anyway... I had some problems finding my boots after the failed stalk. As the saying goes... "no foot, no horse". Looking back in retroiscect, that was real dumb but I did find my boots and managed to save face but it wasn't because I deserved it. God took pity on me and I found my boots and it's as simple as that. No boots and many miles from truck in an area that bakes men like cornbread... well, I just thank God.

Anybody have a good cornbread recipe?

You mean "stalking" Preston! Lol

I just pull my boots off. Up here in north Idaho there's a lot of timber pounding so it's worth taking an extra pair of socks for when you pull boots off to stalk and get crap stuck in the socks your wearing

You mean "stalking" Preston! Lol

I just pull my boots off. Up here in north Idaho there's a lot of timber pounding so it's worth taking an extra pair of socks for when you pull boots off to stalk and get crap stuck in the socks your wearing

Good hell I knew it didn't look right!

I swear everyone, I went to college haha

I used to wear a set called bears feet....thick clumpy "fleecey" looking stuff on bottom and extra heavy felt wrapped around and over shoes....
I think now i would go to a store and find some seriously heavy felt for inside the boots(make sure they are wider than your shoes)and take them to a sewing shop and have some heavy duty Velcro sewn on to go over the forefoot and strap up and around the Achilles area...
Might cost you $20.....

Can also put scent on the bottoms and keep them in a Ziploc while hunting....

I used to wear a set called bears feet....thick clumpy "fleecey" looking stuff on bottom and extra heavy felt wrapped around and over shoes....
I think now i would go to a store and find some seriously heavy felt for inside the boots(make sure they are wider than your shoes)and take them to a sewing shop and have some heavy duty Velcro sewn on to go over the forefoot and strap up and around the Achilles area...
Might cost you $20.....

Can also put scent on the bottoms and keep them in a Ziploc while hunting....
That's definitely not a bad idea. Let us know how it turns out!

I have tried a few slippers and moccasins, but found I prefer just keeping a pair of heavy socks in a zip lock bag to put on.
Nothing like the thrill of getting in close.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.