Fovorite caliber for coyotes and why

rankin76

September is coming up and I've got coyotes on the brain. I usually start my coyote hunting in September. So… I'm getting exited!

Figured I'd see what everyone's favorite caliber is for hunting coyotes. And why?

I'd have to say my all time favorite is the 17 Remington. Out to 350 yards depending on wind it just makes me smile every time! I have yet to even have one do the yelping spin, just bang flop.

It's had several looks over the years, but still my favorite

IMG_7227.png
IMG_7230.png
IMG_7231.png
IMG_7166.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got this yote recently, 75gr ELDM's at 176 yards.. My "Budget AR Build" has been my go to for a couple of years. It took awhile to find him. I also got a 496 yard badger on the second shot. It's a TAC load so I'm sure it's faster than in the winter when I developed it. Right on the ragged edged for summer heat. I just bought a Weatherby Vanguard Obsidian .223 for coyotes and varmints. My 260 AI and 7mm Rem Mag will be used for ELR work.
1722871511306.png
1722871752721.png

My favorite squeeze is my 22-250. Had her for a long time and she is my least accurate rifle. Holds an inch at best. My favorite squeeze would be my CZ527 17 Rem but I have lost too many runners. It is a true 1/4" rifle and my most accurate. A perfect calling rifle. I have lost too many coyotes with it. One was shot at 19 yards right behind the shoulder. A couple other bang flops and then run offs. However, a number of 250 yard kills. My old Ruger 22-250 just seems to hit what it's pointed at. Very seldom miss with it. If I was shooting in a tournament it would be my 6 creed with 95 Berger classic hunters.

My favorite squeeze is my 22-250. Had her for a long time and she is my least accurate rifle. Holds an inch at best. My favorite squeeze would be my CZ527 17 Rem but I have lost too many runners. It is a true 1/4" rifle and my most accurate. A perfect calling rifle. I have lost too many coyotes with it. One was shot at 19 yards right behind the shoulder. A couple other bang flops and then run offs. However, a number of 250 yard kills. My old Ruger 22-250 just seems to hit what it's pointed at. Very seldom miss with it. If I was shooting in a tournament it would be my 6 creed with 95 Berger classic hunters.

What bullet are you shooting out of the 17?

6mm ARC ! It is a small, very accurate and very versatile cartridge with many different bullet weights available. I'm just really tickled with this little cartridge for coyotes and deer. with a 75 grain speer out of an 18 inch barrel 1in 7.5 twist. It is running 2980.
image.jpg

Last edited:
My, Custom Built, 10.5 lb, ( Med Heavy Bbl'd ) Braked, SS Rem 700 action, Criterion barrel, in 6 XC with, 103 grain, Horn ELD-X's @ 3,100 FPS, out to, 700 yards, GETS it,. Done ! ( The 95 gr. Berger, Classic Hunter, at 3,200 FPS, is my 2nd Choice, in THIS Rifle )
And my, 8 lb, Rem 700 ( BRAKED, Med Sport Bbl. ), "Walking Varmint, Rifle" in, .22-250 With, 50 Gr V-Maxes @ 3,550 FPS is Fine out to 350ish Yds.
NO silly, "Pip Squeek", small Cal./ Low Velocity, Rifle's for Me as, I've seen, too many,.. "Run Off's" !

Last edited:
It's looking like a lot of 6mm flavors and some 22-250's. I like see all the calibers folks use for coyote hunting!

Keep it coming.

Last edited:

Recent Posts