Forced To Read A Thread

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Earlier today I tested a new communication feature we just installed. We may use it for cases like the following:
  1. Request updating of email addresses. About 1/3 of our members have invalid, out-of-date email addresses and I can't email them to ask that they be updated.
  2. Learn of a new feature
  3. Warn of an upcoming server maintenance shut down
  4. Require all members to read the rules
  5. Warn of forum software upgrade and associated downtime, this would have been nice last summer
The Force Thread Read feature is designed to require only one reading of a targeted thread. Let me know if that didn't work. Let me know if there were any other glitches with it. Announcements (like this one) made only in the forum are helpful but they aren't read by everyone so I think this new feature will be quite helpful a half-dozen or so times per year.

Last edited:
Earlier today I tested a new communication feature we just installed. We may use it for cases like the following:
  1. Request updating of email addresses. About 1/3 of our members have invalid, out-of-date email addresses and I can't email them to ask that they be updated.
  2. Learn of a new feature
  3. Warn of an upcoming server maintenance shut down
  4. Require all members to read the rules
  5. Warn of forum software upgrade and associated downtime, this would have been nice last summer
The Force Thread Read feature is designed to require only one reading of a targeted thread. Let me know if that didn't work. Let me know if there were any other glitches with it. Announcements (like this one) made only in the forum are helpful but they aren't read by everyone so I think this new feature will be quite helpful a half-dozen or so times per year.

It worked.

I personally don't like a feature like that, but I did get to see some magnificent photos.

It would be good for the 5 items listed above.

worked for me.....thanks for the link to your pics, awesome!
I am of the opinion that if Len thinks it is pertinent, or important, or, something we may like to see, I am all for it.

Thanks for a great site,
LeRoy.

I can understand/appreciate the utility of it, but would have liked it better if it had brought me *here*, instead of to the big sales pitch, nice pics notwithstanding . . . just MHO.

I was too stupid to figure out how to get from the photo sales pitch to the forums. Just quit visiting site for a few days until it was over.

cockcroft, this is Len. You only had to read it once. That's the way it was set up. Good to have you back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas, this is Len's site, so if he wants to advertise in his own pre-paid space, it should present no issue. I went through it too, and wasn't a problem ... was there a significant delay ???

I'm with speedbump on this one.

The option of paid subscriptions to this forum doesn't even exist. As far as I know, we are all users free of charge thanks to Len and a couple of sponsors. If Len wants to direct us to an ad for his outstanding photography, or anything else for that matter, there shouldn't be any complaints.

I don't mind at all. It's a small price to pay for the information contained within.

rather pay

I hope len don't get mad, but I would rather pay a yearly charge than to have all those ads on here.

Ya know.....in reading this it seems to me that nobody even read what Len had to say in his first post. It was a test, plain and simple. He chose to take it to a certain place during this test. Like was stated, it is Len's site and he can do that.:rolleyes:

Read it again and you will see that it will probably only happen when there is something of importance, like he stated, to relay to everyone.

For Len it is probably far more cost effective to go the advertiser route than to ask people to donate or even to have to pay to use the site. Advertisers pay, donations sometimes don't even happen.

I still can't see what the big deal with the ads are to some people. It's a way of life and for me at least, they are a non-issue. I read them if I want to and I ignore them if I so choose. However, to help support this site, I will use them all when possible to not only help me get what I want but to also support Long Range Hunting.

I for one think Len's going in the right direction. I would guess that some of the people that don't like what we have now don't even know what it was like before with the old site and how far we've come and how much better it is now. I have noticed a very significant increase in daily views and participation and I'd say that is good.

If you don't like the ads you can find sites that don't have ads but you will also find that we have more posts and views on some days than the small, no ad sites, have in a month or a year.

People come here because it's the best site of it's kind on the web. It has that reputation because of Len and his time and money involved. It always amazes me how people that get the best, FOR FREE, complain about what is really a non-issue. Guess even hanging them with a new rope would be out of the question and not good enough.:);):)

Dick

Dick

hope you were not referring to my post. No complaints. This is a quality site with great people, and info that's why I wouldn't mind paying for it, and not have the ads. I don't have dsl, and it takes a lot longer to load with the new site with the ads on it. I can't get dsl where I live. MO

mo30284:

No one in particular and everyone in general. I believe that we, as a group of internet users, tend to take a really good web site for granted. We push our little mice around, click our little buttons and expect it to be there for us any time of the night or day when we feel like using it, even though we, as individuals, never do anything to help or keep it up and running. I also believe that probably a vast majority of the users never take into consideration what it takes in terms of time, money and commitment to keep a site like this going and improving.

I try to take notice of what happens, what changes take place and kinda keep track of what Len does and how much time he spends. I figure he actually spends close to 10-20 times what I would imagine he does, working on this site and I'm grateful to have a place that is just a click away.

I can guarantee you that Len does not do this for the money. He could do far better doing just about anything else. I for one am glad it is here and I know it would be a real bummer to not have it any more.

Just remember that even though we would all like to have the site configured to our individual tastes, that is just not possible. Len would have to have a hundred different sites.;) I feel sorry for those that have dial-up but we have to look at Len's point of view and realize that he has to make it usable for everyone and he actually has used polls etc. to see what we all have and how we use the site. He does the best he can for everyone but I would imagine that he leans towards the majority when it comes to user types/groups.

I have looked around the site, found out what I get for the amount of money I have invested, and figure I'm getting one hell of a deal.;);) I can think of a couple of other business ventures that I wish went as well for me, given what I have invested, as this site does.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.