For the Forster owners....

D. Manley

I've been reloading for a (very) long time but have not loaded for rifle in years. With my grandkids now getting into centerfire rifle and deer hunting I'm going to start back up. I load all my pistol ammo on a Dillon and have my turrets and old single-stage's set up for specific little pistol-related chores, so...

I've decided that Forster is the way I'm gonna' go on a new press. I value accuracy above all other in rifle loads and since it's not a high volume game like handgun ammo, time per round is not a factor. I've not personally had a chance to fondle any of the Forster dies but if they're like their other products, no doubt they're good. I don't crimp my bolt-action rounds so the lack of crimp in the Forster seater is no issue if consistency and runout are well controlled. I'm just wondering if anyone likes other brands (Redding "Competition" series, in particular) any better...and, why? FWIW, I'm going to be loading .270 Winchester, 7MM Mag & .243.

Any comments welcome.

I really like the Forster BR seater dies. Very minimal runout and accuracy with seating depth and very affordable for a high quality. I've used their FL die and they are pretty good, but since I want to do neck tension, I go with a Redding Type S FL die for that purpose. If your interested in bushings and want to use Forster, then you'll have to get their shoulder bump die. I haven't owned one of them because I've heard from alot of BR shooters that Forster bushings are not always on the money (i.e. a .268" is actually a .267" bushing). If your interested in neck tension and bushings, give either a Redding S type a shot or get a Wilson die (very good reputation) but you'll have to get an arbor press to use their dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.