Follow-Up on Thursday’s Wyoming Bear Attack

memtb

This indeed was one lucky young man! And very calm and courageous "under fire"! memtb

Spoiler Alert……the bear still dead! 🙀

Last edited:
All that I can think is ...

I'm a lucky Dog ..I'm a lucky Dog ..
I'm having friends for Dinner ! (Bow hunters) the Bear is thinking! Ha ha

I remember when I first moved to Montana in 05 we didnt think to much about Big Bears but after 10 years or so it weighted heavy on my mind when the Wife and I were out Hunting.

My forum picture is very real and Man i was so "STUPID " for tracking that Bruin for almost a hr !
Im totally Lucky I never cought up to him .
It was not to far from Nevada Creek Reservoir.
for the boys from Montana!
That same time period my Brother was working on a Sub Station in that area. The Rancher stopped and told all the Boys to be on the look out for a Large Grizzly in the area .
Now it seems we are hearing about them almost every week .

Rum Man

This indeed was one lucky young man! And very calm and courageous "under fire"! memtb

Spoiler Alert……the bear still dead! 🙀

Thank goodness he had a sidearm with adequate horsepower available.

For those of you that either don't or won't carry a sidearm when bow hunting, you may want to reconsider your decision making paradigm.

I carry a 10mm G29. I bet the jamming is due to "limp wristing" when he couldn't fire it properly under those circumstances. Maybe another argument for a revolver. Lucky guy. The lord was there for sure.
I was wondering why he would have 2 jams back to back pretty much
I've got a G20 and that thing never jams. I can shoot it one handed, sideways and upside down and it still shoots.

I had a G29 that jammed about every other magazine, just would not feed.

It makes me think some glocks are just better than others.

My Glock 20 is perfectly reliable. The only time I ever heard "limp wristing" was from a gunsmith who had just "combat tuned" my Colt 1911, back in 1970. I told him I never "limp-wristed" before his tune up, why would I suddenly start doing that now? A little Dupont #7 and some elbow grease fixed it. I think bear stress would tighten things rather than loosen them...

As much as I trust my G20, it's possible it could have a feed issue at any given time. I've had them before during range time and eliminated the ammo that caused it. Still, it could happen. It's a semi auto loader and they are prone to having this problem unlike a revolver. That said, they are so few and since I've eliminated the ammo that did cause it, I haven't had one since. My confidence soars when I can shoot accurately and fast with it if needed. I can't shoot a big bore revolver a fraction as fast or accurate in a stressful scenario so that eliminates big bore wheel gun for me. There is just no way of knowing if the scenario would have been better with a big wheel gun in this case or not. It wasn't his time.

"Limp Wristing!" While not a 10 mm Glock, it can happen with most any semi-auto…..and it doesn't have to be a 10mm.

The following happened many years ago with a Glock 9mm, no idea what model.

A co worker brought his new Glock 9 to our house for some shooting. He and my wife where continually having "stove pipes"…..Yet, I was having none.

After this repeated itself a few times, I suggested that they might be "limp wristing" it. They both starting shooting with a "FIRM" grip……"stove pipes" went away! memtb

It's a common thing with shooters going from revolvers to semi auto pistols. It happens more often with women from my experience but I've seen many male shooters have this occur. It's strictly a grip issue. People that put enough range time in, get rid of the problem. Like anything, practice perfects anything.

"Limp Wristing!" While not a 10 mm Glock, it can happen with most any semi-auto…..and it doesn't have to be a 10mm.

The following happened many years ago with a Glock 9mm, no idea what model.

A co worker brought his new Glock 9 to our house for some shooting. He and my wife where continually having "stove pipes"…..Yet, I was having none.

After this repeated itself a few times, I suggested that they might be "limp wristing" it. They both starting shooting with a "FIRM" grip……"stove pipes" went away! memtb
It also makes me wonder just how many times that specific gun was fired by that guy using the same made ammo. My thoughts are to ensure (increased confidence) he was comfortable that he could defend himself properly if the need arose. Practice, practice, practice.

Of all the guns I have, if I have any thread of doubt that ANY one of them causes me to wonder, that gun is history. Id choose another gun. To me, it's 100% all the time or bust. It has to be when game in the area would rather eat you than mess with you!

It also makes me bring up the old conversation about semi auto vs revolver. Personally, I'd go with either a 357 or 44 mag. Never had a wheel gun jam up on me. Misfire (dud), yes. Jam, no. Just sayin'.

Last edited: