FN SPR A5M kicks like a mule

gafrapster

After years of owning it and now retired, I've been taking my SPR to the range. I own 5 different .308s, and this is the only one that kicks hard enough to literally split the inside of my lip. Gun moves a good 3" every round when firing off sand bags front and rear. NF 5-20 on it and a tack driver at 200 yards. Came with the McMillan stock system and their extension/decelerator pad group on it. Suggestions?

Sometimes it's purely stock ergonomics for you. My grandma has a remington 660 Mohawk in 243 that feels like a 7mm rem mag. Something about the stock design just beats the crud out of anyone shooting it.

Thanks…great input! I like the stock and it's what LAPD used to use back in the day. I'll look for something else that might work. Also have a Savage 10FP in .223 (bull barrel) that only top feeds…plan to get a magazine feed stock system for it too. Recommendations?

Realistically your best bet may be to sent it off to have the barrel threaded. If it kicks too much for you you won't want to shoot it much, and if you like how the stock is configured then you don't have many other options. They do make clamp on brakes, but I have zero experience with those.

Stock designs aplenty for the savage 10 series. It all depends on budget and preference (material, shape, etc)