Flashlight

Carrying batteries is carrying batteries. No matter what form they are in. 123A's don't grow on trees either. I am moving towards usb/rechargable type and can check how much juice is in my power bank with a push of a button....

I have a number of Fenix flashlights and they have been nothing short of awesome.
My EDC is a pd35TAC. I literally carry it with me everywhere, everyday and use it many times a day. I'm an electrician/welder/equipment mechanic/small time farmer and my flashlight goes through Hell and back with me on a regular basis. I usually get about 4 years of this abuse out of my Fenix before the tailcap switch finally starts to die, at which point I figure the flashlight has earned its retirement and I purchase a complete new light.
I also have an old (at least 8 years old) headlight from Fenix (HL65, IIRC) that sees a TON of abuse. It's admidittly not the brightest headlamp around, but it's light, durable, dependable and easily carried in a pocket or tool bag when not in use. It uses the same batteries as the PD35TAC. The only thing I've had to change on it is the head band.

Budget plays a huge role in picking "what's best." Additionally, the best flashlight for the outdoors won't necessarily be the best flashlight for general use around your house and workplace (depending on what those environments are, of course). I've used small Streamlight handhelds that work great for EDC, Surefire handhelds that can double (almost) as hammers, and currently carry a Cloud Defensive handheld that can really punch light out a good ways. It's great for spotting small predators in the treelines at night when I take my dog out (we've had a lot of foxes pop up recently, and while we're not worried about the garden variety fox, if I can avoid them, it's better).