Fishing Texas' Saltwater

Mitch Rapp

Taking a trip to Port Aransas, Texas, next month for a family vacation. One of the things on my list of things to do is catch something out of saltwater. I will be fairly happy to catch anything, but really want to catch a shark....

I will be very limited on what gear I can take, I plan to take my baitcaster, with either 14# mono or braided line of 14 pound diameter, 65# test. And my catfish rig, which has 80# braided line. Any tips on what to do or how, plus if there are any oddball regs to know about. Chartering something is out of the question, partially due to cost, partially because the trip is for my kids, not for me. My plan is to fish in the surf or off some of the structures along the beach while the kids play, or in the evening after they are getting to bed or playing games or such. The older ones will likely join me of course, but the little ones will be back at the cabin likely wore out and going to bed early lol. Could also fish early in the morning I suppose.

Anyway would love any and all advice. Have some striper lures and lots of bass plugs and such if any of that is worth taking. We will be there for 3-4 days and mainly plan to goof off on the beach and go sightseeing, although we will be touring the USS Lexington as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.