NW Hunter

3989.png
3989.png

Attachments

• 3995.jpeg
    3995.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 368
It's kind of funny...
All my long range practice and I shoot this guy at 42 yards.
I worked my way up on top of this mountain and sat on a finger coming off the rimrock.
Unknown to me, this buck was pressured at the bottom and was coming up a cut next to me.

I had been sitting for about 2 hours glassing and I was getting ready to move. I was reaching for my trail mix when I caught him sneaking behind me.
I NEVER heard him. I froze until he got by me. I told myself "GO", grabbed my rifle, stood, turned and shot. He dropped in his tracks. Shot placement was high behind the shoulder quartering away with a Berger 140 hunt VLD out of my 6.5x284. The far side shoulder was lost.
I got to admit, this up close encounter was very exciting!

Great buck and good looking mulie country. Congrats! At least, you didn't have to cross a bad canyon to get to him.

The whole hunt was a blast.
A client of mine's friend owns 3,200 acres of this great country. Brian was a wonderfull host.
I was set up with Brian's nephew Tony on a possible double the day before on a big 3 and a decent 4 at 783 yards. We laid on the ground for 45 minutes with frost on the ground. Tony started shaking from the cold and I told him to do some jumping jack's behind the jeep. The bucks wouldn't present us with simultaneous shots, so we past on them.
We got a lot of good humored flack at the campfire that night when my host Brian snuck in and killed that 4 point 20 minutes later.
It all made for some great comraderie with my new friends.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.