First 7mmSTW and Accubond Long Range Bullets

drakehammer

Hello everyone. I believe this is my first post on the LRH forum but I've been using this site as a reference source for a couple of years. I thoroughly enjoy the threads.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would like the final word, if there is such a thing, on Accubond Long Range Bullets for the 7mmSTW. Tomorrow I'm driving to Memphis to pick up a couple of new rifle builds, one of which is my first 7mmSTW. I started this process in February, and it's finally time to see the finished product. I too have been lured in by the high BC's advertised on the ABLR's. So I now have on hand plenty of 168's and 150's in the 7mm ABLR flavor. But I'm a little concerned about the reviews that I've read, here and elsewhere. I am not new to reloading, but I would rather not waste a lot of time and barrel life chasing a load for a bullet that will only result in mediocre accuracy and precision at less than stellar velocities. I would rather send these bullets to the grave and use something easier and more forgiving to tune if necessary (I'm still kind of a fan of the old school SGKs). So I'm looking for your experiences with the 150 and 168 grain Accubond Long Range bullets out of your 7mmSTWs. Yes I want blistering speed, as it was a driver in my decision to build the STW. But if reduced speeds are better for the ABLR bullets, I can certainly develop loads for my old factory 7mm Rem Mag or my 7mm08 (another new build that I'm picking up tomorrow as well) using the ABLR's.

My 7mmSTW is a hunter not a target rifle, but I fully expect 3/4 MOA or better. It is built on a Rem 700 donor action with a 26" heavy sporter contour 9 twist Brux 4 groove barrel, bedded HS precision stock, 2# Jewell trigger, and Leupold LR 6-20x40 scope.
Any input on the bullets is appreciated. Feel free to tell me what components work well in your rifles too.
Thanks
Jesse

I burned a bit of barrel with the 168 LRAB in my STW. During OCW, shot a nice group or two but found little repeatability. Gave up on them when the 180 Berger VLD-H performed perfectly in my gun.

I have a 26inch 1:9 twist Lilja barrel. Using 71.5gn IMR 7828, I see 2971fps with SD 5 and ES 13. Shoots less than 0.5MOA verified to 600 yards. I know I can push the speed higher but I don't see the need and I hope to have a little longer barrel life running slower.

I have only hunted with this load once. It was a very successful 580 yard clean kill on a mature whitetail. Like a light switch.

Not often does a thread title make me cringe. This one did....
Most of us have been through the ABLR cycle to some extent. Mine was a box of 7mm 150 gr ABLR pills that we tried in two different 7stw's. Both rifles produced great groups the first outing; that wasn't the problem... The shotgun patterns I got out of one of the rifles using the same box of bullets on the next outing were.

I appreciate it fellas. I have read your posts on similar related threads. Including that 50+ page dialogue. It sure seems like the ABLRs are just more headache than they're worth, ending in disappointment to say the least. I think I'll just stick with the standard 140gr ABs. My gunsmith has raving reviews on them out of his past 7 STW builds on Texas whitetails, hogs, and Javelinas, as well as Ibex and Marco Polo sheep in some foreign land at distances out to 1100 yards. He actually prefers moly coated 140ABs with a very stiff charge of 7828.

I also had problems grouping well with the 168 nosler accubond LR bullets.I have a Fierce 7mm rem mag the first time I shot it I grouped .5 inch groups with factory ammo.I loaded my own and had trouble duplicating that accuracy.I bought 175 gr. Nosler ACLR I used IMR 4831 3.42 inch oal 56.4 gr fed 215 primers nosler brass.I group .5 inch at 100 yds,.75 inch at 200 yd.This summer I will continue trying to find a formula for the 168s.

My original hunting load used the 160 Accubonds running around 3100fps over 7828. Preferred it to the 140 Accubonds. I save them for the 7mm Rem Mag. I feel that the heaviest bullet I can sling as close to 3000fps as possible gives me the best long range outcome. The Accubonds run out of steam around 800 yards, and the 180 VLD at 1100. At these ranges, you will start dropping below 1000 ft/lbs energy. Not saying you can't kill beyond these ranges, but it will be akin to hunting big game with a 223 at 50 yards. No telling how far they will run...

Got to break in and sight in the new 7mmSTW in today. Went right to my gunsmith's favorite load of 83.0gr 7828, Fed 215s, with moly coated 140gr Ballistic Tips loaded to 3.585" oal. There are no loose primers after one shot, but the primers are approaching flat. The bolt lift was not sticky after any shot. After a few break in shots, a thorough barrel cleaning, and another barrel foul shot, this load grouped quite well. Two consecutive 3 shot groups each <0.3"@ 100 yards. No further testing necessary until we turn Bambi inside-out. My gunsmith says he has built at least 25 of these 7mmSTWs and they all shot this load well. Warning...this load is 5.5 gr over Noslers max. published data. Without moly, you will need a mallet to open the bolt supposedly. I'll just take his word for it. More fun than anyone should be allowed to have.

With 7828 pushing a 140 sierra in my old sendero 7stw I was already over pressure well before you... Here are a couple of strain gauge graphs for you... post # 47

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/4000-fps-7mm-stw-w-140-bullet-109862/index7.html

molly will help a bit but it isn't going to make more than a grain or two difference in top charge the rifle will eat safely. I don't use molly any longer; I've switched to slower double based powders and let the rifle take it easy.

Thanks for the chart Lefty. This rifle was built to wring as much out of this cartridge in a medium game hunting package as we could. Barrel life and brass life is secondary to speed and accuracy on this one. However, I chose not to test the ABLRs because that seems like an exercise in futility for this cartridge based on what I've read...a poor use of barrel barrel life.

Thanks for the chart Lefty. This rifle was built to wring as much out of this cartridge in a medium game hunting package as we could. Barrel life and brass life is secondary to speed and accuracy on this one. However, I chose not to test the ABLRs because that seems like an exercise in futility for this cartridge based on what I've read...a poor use of barrel barrel life.
suit yourself, but there are far better choices than a geriatric mag. powder like 7828 to make a 7stw sing. I've gone to rl25 but rl26 seems faster yet with less pressure so far. I need to work with both rl26 and rl33 more.

suit yourself, but there are far better choices than a geriatric mag. powder like 7828 to make a 7stw sing. I've gone to rl25 but rl26 seems faster yet with less pressure so far. I need to work with both rl26 and rl33 more.

I got ya. I am certainly not opposed to different powders. I do have plenty of other options such as RL25 on hand, as well as Retumbo and H1000. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your 140gr BT/AB load development posts for your STWs. Maybe I will see something that is better to try. Meanwhile, I am pretty stoked to have set one heck of a benchmark with that "geriatric" powder, bullet, rifle combo yesterday.
Jesse

I got ya. I am certainly not opposed to different powders. I do have plenty of other options such as RL25 on hand, as well as Retumbo and H1000. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your 140gr BT/AB load development posts for your STWs. Maybe I will see something that is better to try. Meanwhile, I am pretty stoked to have set one heck of a benchmark with that "geriatric" powder, bullet, rifle combo yesterday.
Jesse

I'm not saying she won't shoot with 7828, but some of the other choices will be easier on the rifle (brass too) over the long haul while still getting you the performance you want.
My sendero barrel (the one with the strain gauge)wasn't fully shot out at 1400 rounds. The last group I fired in her before I traded her was .300" at 100 yards. I've been hearing from guys that have pushed their rifles that their pipes poop out at 1000 rounds or so.
I do shoot 7828 but I keep the keg of 7828 that I have reserved to my 270win with 150 hornady pills on top.

I'm not saying she won't shoot with 7828, but some of the other choices will be easier on the rifle (brass too) over the long haul while still getting you the performance you want.
My sendero barrel (the one with the strain gauge)wasn't fully shot out at 1400 rounds. The last group I fired in her before I traded her was .300" at 100 yards. I've been hearing from guys that have pushed their rifles that their pipes poop out at 1000 rounds or so.
I do shoot 7828 but I keep the keg of 7828 that I have reserved to my 270win with 150 hornady pills on top.

That is some pretty dang good barrel life I would say. Like I said, I will probably stick with 140gr ABs and BTs unless I see a need to change that. No matter where I end up, I imagine I'm going to lean on it. Whatever I can do to retain the accuracy I've established with even more velocity (and / or less pressure) is golden! I've got lots of 140gr Berger VLD's, Barnes TTSX's, as well as Sierra GK's and PH's. I've got tons of other bullet weights as well. My combo possibilities are virtually unlimited. I am interested in your recommendations. Please share your favorites.

I am VERY partial to either rl22 or rl25 with a 140 in a 7stw. My Pops was shooting 78.5 rl22 with a 140 sierra pro hunter in his ss dm bdl for many years and has recently switched to rl25 and 150's.
I've used 82 rl25 lit with a 215 with a 140 nos ab at (3.650")on top for three barrels in a row now. It will vary a bit in speed but be terribly accurate in most barrels. I was only getting 3200 fps from it in my 24" bbl, but am currently getting 3320 fps from the load (27" bbl); my rem. sendero would run 3400 fps with that ammo. I've played with rl26 a bit and gotten stellar velocity (over 3450 fps safely) out of the 24" bbl. but I haven't worked it over yet with my new barrel. It should be able to crack 350 fps with ease... if the accuracy holds up I may go with rl26 after the three hundred 140ab/rl25 rounds I have loaded get shot up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.