favorite powder for 45-70 modern loads?

Even at that price I don't see the benefit. All the local stores around me have increased Alliant powder to $69 to $79
Oh yeah , it's a whatever works best for ya deal. With loads around 50 grains that's 140 loads to a pound. Only about 40 cents a shot at $57 bucks to the pound. Like that Reloader #7, cause just works well with most any bullet weight or power level from Trapdoors, 1895 Marlins, to Ruger #1's.

Oh yeah , it's a whatever works best for ya deal. With loads around 50 grains that's 140 loads to a pound. Only about 40 cents a shot at $57 bucks to the pound. Like that Reloader #7, cause just works well with most any bullet weight or power level from Trapdoors, 1895 Marlins, to Ruger #1's.
It was pretty accurate for me with 300 gr Sierras. I've got so much other stuff I can sub though, I quit using it. I like Varget for the stout stuff and it's been really good for me. 405 gr Hardcast at over 1800 fps is pretty gnarly

Last edited:
Woundn't encourage others to try Pistol powders in a 45-70 cartridge, just a bad idea.
I understand this post, however I have been using "Lil Gun" in my 450 Bushmaster. When I saw the load data it made me very skeptical, but went with the load data. The load data was correct, but it still gives me the willies to load with this powder.

Man I wish this post was here last year. I was looking for a powder to get 250g Hammers to 2500fps from a 24" 1886. I wanted easier shots to 200yd than a 400g slug could give me. 1680 did that easy, but no accuracy for me. Tried I4198 and it worked good, slightly compressed. But I ran out of it, haven't seen any at PV since last fall. Plus prices went up. I tried N130 which QL said should produce lower pressure at that velocity, but I got pressure signs at 2400fps. I just ran a pressure/velocity ladder with RL7 a few days ago, and it works as well as 4198, maybe better. I'm loading 1.5g less and my first 5 rounds on paper ranged from 2520-2543, or something like that. I pinched my chesticle between the bench and that half moon buttplate, have to heal up before I shoot more lol.

Anecdotal but I killed a 5x5 elk with this load and one whitetail last fall. The whitetail was bang-flop. The elk went 40-50 yds. I did all that work to be able to hit at 200yds, but we ended up calling him in to 50 for the shot. The deer was about 85yd. I still feel good knowing I can ring my little steel plate at 200, gives me confidence.

I have some N120, I may give that a try also if it fills up the case ok. Seems like it would be too fast, but at least I can try it. I also have not tried mag primers, curious if that raises pressure or maybe the pressure curve?

Woundn't encourage others to try Pistol powders in a 45-70 cartridge, just a bad idea.
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
The guy that did this site took a hard look at the old military low velocity loads. Then he did all the math involved to insure the loads were safe. Read the site look at the data he has put out. If you are going to use low velocity loads Don't go over or under his recomended loads. I shoot 400gr paper patched bullets with 11grs of W231 at 950fps and they are a joy to shoot.

I really like RE 7 and had really good velocity and accuracy. I have a bunch of .45-70's. I'm sure some of the other powders will perform as well, but I still have a few cans of it sitting in the powder magazine so I'll stay with it. I even took a Sharps to Africa on one of my trips and managed to kill a few critters with it. I got some really strange looks when I pulled that smoke-pole out of the case.