extending an 03 magazine

degreen

Is there a way to extend an 03 Springfield magazine? And before you say it, this rifle has already been sportsarized long before I got it. Then I had it converted to 30/338 Win mag. The trigger assembly is the only thing I can see that would stop the magazine from being extended.

Ya', the trigger assembly, that's what's in the way. You can take a little at the front, but not much. Those are the limitations of using a military action that was designed around a certain cartridge. I trust your Springfield is a "high serial numbered one", serial number above 800,000.

Yes it is a higher number. Also I am thinking about threading the pin hole for the ejector, and use a screw instead of the pin. Every time I pull the action out of the stock the ejector pin falls out.

So looking at the feed ramp it looks like I can get a little bit extra length on the front end. Any issues there?

There can always be 'issues' when you remove metal that helps support the lower locking abutment. That said, early case hardened commercial version of Mauser '98s had/has an inside mag length of 3.4". The military mag box of a std. length '98 is 3.315". That says that .075" was removed, and from the front. Newer commercial '98s are made of better steel and heat treated better, I have a Springfield '03A1 box in front of me and the thickness of the front wall measures .080" thick. It could be removed and a new front wall welded in, extending the inside length of the box. This not a recommendation to do this 'lengthening', but that is how it has been done in the past. If I convert a military Mauser '98 to use a commercial mag box/trigger guard assembly, I use a 7/16" carbide end mill and finish dressing by hand, with a file and wet & dry paper wrapped around a wooden dowel to polish.

My bottom metal and mag box are after market from the late sixties. I was able to measure everything today. C.O.A.L. to the lands is 3.48" (this puts the boat tail, bearing surface junction just below the neck, shoulder junction with 210 bergers). Feed opening in bottom of action measures 3.524", and mag box measures 3.338". I can take a little off the back of mag opening in the action and stock before I run into the trigger assembly. I think I can cut enough of the back of the mag box out to allow for lengthening.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.