Ever run into this scenario on a Tikka

Darryle

I purchased a Tikka Superlite stainless 223, bought a EH1-TK from @REDVANES and High Desert Rifleworks bottom metal. Reassembled the rifle and finally shot it this past weekend. It would horizontally string the rounds, left to right as I fired, 4 rounds POI moved 2". I stopped, shot the X-Bolt 223. Shot the 6.5 PRC. Decided to look over everything on the Tikka, could not figure it out. I removed the barreled action to verify it was seated and not moving. On reassembly, I noticed the bolt handle would move slightly as I torqued the action screws, the bolt was contacting the stock slightly. Bagged it up and once home I removed less than .005" material and it cleared, plan on removing a bit more and sealing the notch. My plan is to clear the notch, bed the action and head back to the range with the same ammo and two of the benchmark factory loads I use to eliminate myself from the problem, factory loaded Lapua 69gr Scenar-L match and factory loaded 69gr FGMM SMKs.

My question is, would this minimal amount of interference cause the stringing? I know it's not contributing to accuracy.

"Superlite" I'm just guess'n here, but that lightweight barrel may be showing signs of stress (my term) and as it heats the barrel is drawing away from the initial shot fired!

Is this a "free floated" barrel? If so, you may consider a "full length" bedding. It may help minimize the barrel warp/draw as it heats. If that doesn't help or makes worse…..you can always open-up the barrel channel back up. memtb

"Superlite" I'm just guess'n here, but that lightweight barrel may be showing signs of stress (my term) and as it heats the barrel is drawing away from the initial shot fired! memtb

Never let it build heat knowing it would walk, wrasslin with the Labradar, setting the barrel cooler, chatting with a couple guys between shots about the LR vs the Xero, waiting for the range to go back hot, talking to RO about the rim fire match earlier in the day, just general BS'n. Conservatively, from 1st shot to fourth was 30 minutes easy. I arrived at 4pm and left at 8pm and fired a total of 24rds thru 3 rifles, 4 thru the Tikka, 14 thru the X-Bolt, 6 thru the 6.5 PRC.

Darryle…….WOW, I got nutt'n for ya! Sorry!

Idea: Are these the first rounds fired through this rifle. If so, maybe it's just settling……seeking it's "happy place"! I realize that shouldn't happen with high $, custom rifles…..but "strange things happen in this world"! 😉. Try her out again, and see if it replicates your initial findings! memtb

Only time I have had this problem it was contact with stock and barrel or neck tension was too light. The issue with neck tension it was perfect vertical every time but just left or right and back and forth so I was scratching my head. Th stock touching it was shooting all over the place and big groups

Thanks

Buck

Darryle…….WOW, I got nutt'n for ya! Sorry!

Idea: Are these the first rounds fired through this rifle. If so, maybe it's just settling……seeking it's "happy place"! I realize that shouldn't happen with high $, custom rifles…..but "strange things happen in this world"! 😉. Try her out again, and see if it replicates your initial findings! memtb

I bought it used on the Campfire, supposedly it shot fantastic, but the second owner never fired it. Vertically, it's on, it just strings this particular load horizontally. I have several options on bullets, 69gr SMK & TMK, 77gr TMK, 69gr & 77gr Scenars, 70gr Accubonds & RDF, 70gr Nosler Comp HPBT, 60gr Partition and the Berger 70gr and 75gr VLDs. There may a box of A-Maxs in a tote somewhere.

It started low left and ended up low right. I think this contact is the issue. I will correct it and head to the range again Saturday afternoon after all the "deer hunters" sight in their rifles again for the year 🤣

I bought a Tikka Ember 308 last year, got a Mountain Tech shroud, bottom metal, recoil lug, trigger spring kit and scope rail. I didn't install the action pillars but carefully torqued the receiver bolts and I wasn't happy with how it shot. I found a closeout deal on an iota carbon fiber stock which didn't even come close to fitting the receiver. I called iota and to my surprise they said send it to us and we'll replace it with our newest model and they did. I had to do a little channel work but finally got everything fit and went to the range where again I was not impressed. I did find that the recoil lug was too thin and was not even close to a proper snug fit in the receiver slot, so I carefully bedded it, verified no contact in the barrel channel, increased torque to 55in lbs and shot several 1/2 in groups with different ammo, some 168 TMK handloads and some Petersen 168 match, both suppressed and unsuppressed with about an inch shift in POI. For a hunting rifle, I think I'm good.

If I get horizontal stringing, I usually investigate bullet seating depth, putting together a few sets of cartridges each with .005 or .010 difference to see how the group changes.

I bought it used on the Campfire, supposedly it shot fantastic, but the second owner never fired it. Vertically, it's on, it just strings this particular load horizontally. I have several options on bullets, 69gr SMK & TMK, 77gr TMK, 69gr & 77gr Scenars, 70gr Accubonds & RDF, 70gr Nosler Comp HPBT, 60gr Partition and the Berger 70gr and 75gr VLDs. There may a box of A-Maxs in a tote somewhere.

It started low left and ended up low right. I think this contact is the issue. I will correct it and head to the range again Saturday afternoon after all the "deer hunters" sight in their rifles again for the year 🤣
What range do you use @Darryle?

If the bolt handle was contacting the stock you may have had a headspace issue. Because the lugs on the bolt are slightly tapered as the bolt handle come down the bolt face moves forward. If the bolt handle can't get to the bottom of its rotation the bolt face might be slightly set back. For this reason the bolt handle should always have clearance and not be in contact with other surfaces.

Recent Posts