Elk hunting and Bullet Technology

Paparock

Previously Rocky W.Latham
The following videos are going to cover many of the modern high tech bullets and their use in elk hunting. Warning- this video will challenge some peoples views. They are the views of "The Real Gunsmith" from Randy's Custom Rifles. Randy talks about bullet technology, using properly constructed bullets for hunting and shows us with cross sectioned bullets from different manufacturers why certain bullets are better than others to effectively and ethically take game.

Last edited:
He's got a bit of an ax to grind. He likes Nosler and Barnes. He is pretty apposed to long range hunting. Not sure this is a good forum to post it?

Haha. I made it through most of it. I couldn't handle the last one at all. I was waiting for some good stuff. Lots of opinion formed over years of experience. Doesn't make him wrong or right. You see enough animals die from gun shots and you start to form your opinion based on the experiences. I have mine too!

I posted one of Randy's videos several weeks ago in one of the wolf threads, he had a lot of historical political background in his video.
I have already watched several of his videos, they all leave me with the same opinion.
He's got lots of knowledge that is very useful. As far as his opinions on the subjects posted by the OP,
I have a relative that is similar, kinda wants to be the only genius in the room.

As far as the OP's closing statement, "certain bullets are better than others to...."
I don't believe in using target bullets for hunting, but hunting bullets sure have come a long ways in the last decade.

Nosler and Barnes probably give him free bullets?
There are two long range gun shops making rifles/videos right out his back door in Cody Wy. They all push Burgers, high shoulder shots and bla bla. As was stated....he is grinding a big ax.

"There are two long range gun shops making rifles/videos right out his back door in Cody Wy. They all push Burgers, high shoulder shots and bla bla. As was stated....he is grinding a big ax."

So that is why he seems rather Hard on shooting systems and guys with Big Ego's?
I watched the first one all the way through and while it's not all bunk.
His obvious bias is disconcerting?

Man, you guys found Randy, I love watching him, mostly to hear about how he invented long range and precision shooting yet has zero grasp on ballistics. His reloading is better than some and I agree with his views on wolves and grizzlies but holy cow he's an action grinding crumudion!!
Hates longrange hunting and longrange bullets yet just drops a long range hunting rifle package and loves long range Accubonds which blow up like none other!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.