Eastern Oregon bighorn

Flybuster

This bighorn picture was taken in Baker County. This is an area where I participated in a bighorn hunt last fall, found some chukars there. Went back chukar season, took this picture.
100_0060-1.jpg

Cool pic! Bighorns are awesome..

I went on a goat and sheep hunt a couple years back. One of our guys in our camp drew the sheep tag and ended up killing #44. You know the big one. Oregon state record, like #3 or 4 in the world. That was a fun, but hard hunt. As with any hunt in the hurricane divide. Then right after that, my uncle drew the goat tag for hurricane divide. He got a decent one, but nothing huge. That was also a fun, but hard hunt. Hurricane divide is pretty unforgiving country. OHHH yah, and I forgot, my aunt drew a goat tag around the Baker unit. She got a decent sized one as well. Those hunts are always fun to go on, something different then deer and elk anyways. Usually a lot more work though, pakcing in 10-15 miles and setting up spike camp.

That real big one your talking about, Isn't the guy who shot that from Milton Freewater? A guy at work told me that was his uncle. My cousin's husband from Hermiston, you might know Josh. The ram he took in the Imnaha last fall was a real monster. I forgot the score.
JOSHRAM.jpg
Here is the trophy of the hunt, that I helped out on last fall. Bryton, shot him 12 noon, opening morning. He scored 162
brytonhillram.jpg

No kidding, that Hurricane Divide is all straight up and down. Hence whey there are mountain goats. Did you use horses on those hunts? Man I have some hilarious pictures of those joker's trying to get that ram out with a 4 wheeler. Don't ask me what they were thinkin'. They ended up having to winch the four wheeler out of a ditch from the nearest "road".

Yep, the guy who drew the tag is from milton freewater, his name is Dave Prock. My uncle and him have been hunting together for about 30 years now.

I know Josh Simmons. Not real well, but I know of him. I worked at a gas station and he lived out that way, so he stopped in quite a bit. Also the guy I worked with, was his best friend. I didn't really know he hunted all that much, but with the last name Simmons, what else can you expect. His cousin is one of the camera men for eastmans to! I watched Josh's sheep hunt on eastmans a couple weeks ago, pretty cool. I think his scored like 185-190, still pretty **** big! I dind't even know Imnaha gave out any sheep tags. They musta just started recently..

Yah we took horses when we did the sheep/goat hunts. Thats really the only way you can hunt them in the hurricane divide. When my aunt put in though, my uncle wanted her to put in for the baker unit cause its a lot easier. YOu can pretty much get to the tops of the mountains by 4 wheeler, that aint going to happen in the wallowas...Me I hate horses though. They've got to be one of the biggest/stupidest animals on earth. When we were headed up this one trail, it was straight up and straight down. It was shale rock and the horse I was on kept slipping and falling on his knees. I opted to walk the rest of the way, Ididn't care, not worth my life. I know we were back in there at least 10 miles, closer to 15.

I don't blame you for wanting to walk either. Yeah I have been waiting to watch his video, they didnt let me know it was out yet! Ill give him a email. Josh is a pretty good hunter, he does archery. I think he actually got a bull last year too. Aint he rotton? I tried to call you two days in a row Remmy, you werent there either time. You probly have a life. I have still been off work, went up to Mt. Emily and saw a mother bear and 2 cubs, last week. Theres a few turks up there, but theres even more mushroom hunters.

Yah, I seen you tried calling me. I was bear hunting in the weneha unit. Between my dad and I, we missed at least 2 bears, if not 3 this weekend. They were pretty good size to, **** it. I'm pretty disgusted with myself to say the least. You can read the full story up there in the hunting topics.

Yah, come to think of it, I do remember Josh being a stick thrower, ha ha. I'm not sure if it was his dad or what, but he shot a huge bull elk in Utah last year with a bow.

I'm sick as a dog right now. I got the stomach flu bug or something. I was fine all weekend long, then monday morning it hit me all at once. Otherwise I would be working to. Kinda sucks because I wanted to go shoot since its a pretty nice day, hardly any wind..

The Whenaha has to be my favorite unit, I have had spring bear tags 2 times for that unit. I was unsucessful both attemts, last year becase it was snowed in for most of the season. Didnt bother to apply this year. I still need to apply for big game tags, first choice for elk, Wehnaha. If i dont get it (probably won't) I will hunt Archery, I just love calling them in!
Josh's dad got the big bull in Utah, seems like they do an out of state hunt every year.
Sorry to hear your sick. My hunting partner and I were supposed to go on a 2 day rockchuck hunt down south this weekend. Guess what, he got the flu also.
I met the owner of the Rainbow at the T.V shoot. He told me they have a Long range place to shoot, and it is a nice day. I might give him a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.