Eastern Gobbler

scottishkat

Had some luck here in VA last week of the season. Out every chance I got and heard birds every morning but one. Heard this one first thing and got myself close set up my decoys and made a couple calls. This bird called back 3 or 4 times and then held up at about 100 or so yards out. Started heading out of town and I hit him with the shaker call then a couple of yelps.

He came into about 30 yards after about 30 minutes of calling. He saw that Jake decoy and started to strut behind some brush came in a little further and when he saw the breeder hen decoy it was game on. He closed the last 25 yards in about 2 seconds looked like he was doing the goosestep.

I think he wanted to put a whupping on the jake never got the chance.

Nut'n like spring gobbler 21.6 pounds 1-1/8" spurs and 10" beard.

Good luck and shoot straight all.

Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0455.JPG
    DSCN0455.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 180
Had some luck here in VA last week of the season. Out every chance I got and heard birds every morning but one. Heard this one first thing and got myself close set up my decoys and made a couple calls. This bird called back 3 or 4 times and then held up at about 100 or so yards out. Started heading out of town and I hit him with the shaker call then a couple of yelps.

He came into about 30 yards after about 30 minutes of calling. He saw that Jake decoy and started to strut behind some brush came in a little further and when he saw the breeder hen decoy it was game on. He closed the last 25 yards in about 2 seconds looked like he was doing the goosestep.

I think he wanted to put a whupping on the jake never got the chance.

Nut'n like spring gobbler 21.6 pounds 1-1/8" spurs and 10" beard.

Good luck and shoot straight all.

Bob
Nice bird.Congrats

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.