Duplicating a factory load

mnhunter2

I have a friend that I shoot and hunt with who likes how a factory load shoots and performs and he would like me to reload a load that is similar, I can buy the same bullet but can't get the powder. So if I can get the velocity of the factory load out of his gun and then use a common reloading powder to get the same velocity I would assume that it would perform similar to the factory loads, thoughts?

I have a friend that I shoot and hunt with who likes how a factory load shoots and performs and he would like me to reload a load that is similar, I can buy the same bullet but can't get the powder. So if I can get the velocity of the factory load out of his gun and then use a common reloading powder to get the same velocity I would assume that it would perform similar to the factory loads, thoughts?

I would tell the friend he needs to buy 5-10 boxes of that factory ammo.

Yes, you can…but it doesn't mean it will work. This morning I pulled a 6 mm Creedmoor match bullet and looked at the powder and how much it was loaded with and I did the same thing to the Precision Hunter load. Both are the same powder. The match has 41 grains and the Precision Hunter has 42 grains, the best I can tell by looking under a high-powered magnifier is using something similar to stay ball 6.5 I believe on a Hornady podcast they said that they use stable powders in the Precision Hunter. I'm currently out testing stable 6.5 right now but I'm using Alpha Brass and small Rifle primer so the powder charge will not be correct, but once I get enough, Brass, I'm gonna try that with the exact same powder charge. bottom line is I've had success with super performance and with H4350 and a 6.5 Creedmoor

You have the correct bullet,you know what brand of brass is used,you can measure velocity, and you can measure seating depth. I'd say you should be able to get really close. Different lots of factory ammo use different lots of powder, they just try to match velocity. I would look at a powder that gets about the same velocity SAFELY and with a similar case fill. However, I don't load ammo for just anyone,they have to be pretty close friends. I've been walking the surface of this planet for a lot of years,and seen "freinds" sue friends for some pretty trivial reasons. CYA !

You have the correct bullet,you know what brand of brass is used,you can measure velocity, and you can measure seating depth. I'd say you should be able to get really close.
I agree with this. Not sure what bullet but many times finding the seating depth is the biggest piece of the puzzle and you have that info.
Good luck and would love to hear a update.

I'll save you time, money and frustration…
You will never stumble upon a load that duplicates factory ammo.
Here's why:
Factories use methods that handloaders don't have access to. Such as powders fast enough to utilise a start pressure that is uniform and strong with a crimp. Strong start pressure is what makes factory ammo work across many firearms.
Without pressure testing equipment, you won't come close to the curve necessary for matching factory ammo.

Cheers.

From what I've found, my handloads end up better than factory loads when I've got a rifle dialed in…always. That being said, perhaps finding loads better than those factory loads is possible in his rifle as well with components you can buy off the self.
Agree, not once have my handloads been nothing but better than factory ammo in every way.

Cheers.

I think honestly, many responses here on this topic were a little skewed from the initial question. He simply asked if he could replicate the load. He didn't ask if he could 'copy it' with different powder and get the same result.

Bottom line is you can absolutely replicate a factory load for bullet type, accuracy and velocity. It may take trying a couple of different powders.

I think the next most appropriate question to ask this group is how best to achieve xxxx velocity with an xxx grain xxxx brand bullet out of an xxxx cartridge with xx barrel length and an xx twist.

Example would be if you had a buddy with a 308 win in 22"barrel, with a 10 twist that loves 168 grain Hornady Amax going 2650 fps.

I would tell you that somewhere near 44 grains of Varget with the bullet seated to around 2.790" should get you in the ball park of replicating that factory load. Then I would tell you to start below that and work up in .2 grain increments until you find the same velocity, and yes, when you get to the same velocity as the factory load it likes, it will shoot very similarly.

Recent Posts