DIY 7mm STW

JakeWes

Here is a little project I have recently been working on for my father. This was more or less an experiment to see if I could successfully rechamber a 7mm Rem Mag barrel to 7mm STW. Here are my results:

So, my father had a Remington 700 ADL that he bought sometime in the 1980s. Until now, everything was factory original however the 24" barrel was not shooting well with any handloads (and we tried a lot). So, I thought it would be a good idea to take the factory new 7mm Rem Mag barrel that I took off of my Remington 700 to put a Shaw STW barrel on and rechamber it. These new RemArms 700 barrels come with a 1-8" twist from the factory and are 26", so why not?

First, (not pictured) I sanded off the factory finish and applied rust bluing to the barrel to try and match the high gloss hot blue of my father's receiver. Next, I rented a 7mm STW solid pilot finishing reamer, t handle, and belted headspace gauges from 4D Reamer Rentals (great people btw). Pictured below in the new take off 7mm Rem Mag barrel staged up in my vise to begin cutting the chamber.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 9 03 00 AM.jpg

Here, I removed the ejector from the bolt and cleaned up the bolt face with a degreaser and a bristle brush.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 9 03 29 AM.jpg

Here is the STW chamber reamer secured to the t handle and coated with cutting oil.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 11 03 29 AM.jpg

So, I slowly inserted the reamer into the chamber and began cutting. I was applying moderate hand pressure and could get a good feel for how much material was getting cut away. I would remove the chamber reamer every 10 full rotations because I had a lot of material to remove in the beginning.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 11 11 45 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 03 2024, 11 12 07 AM.jpg

After about 20 minutes of cutting the chamber in my vise, the belt-cutting part of the reamer was getting very close to where the existing belt cut-out was in the chamber. So, now was a good time to spin the barrel on the receiver to check my headspace and progress.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 11 53 36 AM.jpg

Here, we can see that the bolt closes on the GO gauge and does not close on the NO-GO gauge. Realistically, cutting the chamber up until this point would not have affected the headspace because these gauges only measure the distance between the bolt face and the belt, so regardless of how deep the chamber was cut, it would only know if I went too far.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 49 32 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 50 02 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 50 22 PM.jpg

So, as a quick and dirty way to check my cutting progress, I used a factory Nosler 160gr AB round and a virgin piece of Bertram brass.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 50 40 PM.jpg

Continued below:

Last edited:
Essentially, I continued cutting, this time by only doing 1 full rotation on the reamer and removing it to check my progress. Eventually, the bolt closed without resistance on the Nosler round and the virgin Bertram brass.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 51 01 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 51 37 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 51 47 PM.jpg

Here is the total amount of material removed from the chamber to convert a factory 7mm Rem Mag to 7mm STW.
Photo Jul 03 2024, 12 52 57 PM.jpg

Finally, here is the finished product. The only replacement part I added was a Boyd's stock that I pillar bedded. Hope you enjoyed!
Photo Jul 19 2024, 11 09 26 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 19 2024, 11 09 48 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 19 2024, 11 17 37 AM.jpg

That is awesome, but I'm curious if you had to modify the magazine box to fit the 7 STW round. Asking because it happened to me when I had a smith rechamber from 7RM to 7 STW. I was two weeks out from an elk hunt when I discovered I had a single shot. Fortunately, I had a backup rifle ready to go. Ended up having another smith build a new magazine box and machine the stock to accept the longer box.

That is awesome, but I'm curious if you had to modify the magazine box to fit the 7 STW round. Asking because it happened to me when I had a smith rechamber from 7RM to 7 STW. I was two weeks out from an elk hunt when I discovered I had a single shot. Fortunately, I had a backup rifle ready to go. Ended up having another smith build a new magazine box and machine the stock to accept the longer box.
No, both this one and my STW are on 700 actions with the factory ADL style magazine/follower and they can seat bullets out to 3.665".

Got a pic of the fired brass?
Here is the brass fired from this morning, it is resized 375H&H. I guess you are wondering how I was able to overcome the larger diameter of the shoulder body junction of the 7mm Rem Mag while rechambering. Well, it seems that the reamer cuts deep enough to make this a non-issue. Furthermore, comparing measurements of fired brass from my STW to this STW determined that I did a good job because they are exactly the same. Also, I should have added, this is the same reamer from 4D that I used chambering my first STW.
IMG_7974.jpg

Here is the brass fired from this morning, it is resized 375H&H. I guess you are wondering how I was able to overcome the larger diameter of the shoulder body junction of the 7mm Rem Mag while rechambering. Well, it seems that the reamer cuts deep enough to make this a non-issue. Furthermore, comparing measurements of fired brass from my STW to this STW determined that I did a good job because they are exactly the same. Also, I should have added, this is the same reamer from 4D that I used chambering my first STW.
View attachment 587427
That was my curiosity, yes. I suppose the body of the 7 STW has a larger diameter at the same length as the Rem Mag's shoulder body junction. Thanks!

Essentially, I continued cutting, this time by only doing 1 full rotation on the reamer and removing it to check my progress. Eventually, the bolt closed without resistance on the Nosler round and the virgin Bertram brass.
View attachment 587376View attachment 587377View attachment 587378

Here is the total amount of material removed from the chamber to convert a factory 7mm Rem Mag to 7mm STW.
View attachment 587379

Finally, here is the finished product. The only replacement part I added was a Boyd's stock that I pillar bedded. Hope you enjoyed!
View attachment 587380
View attachment 587381
View attachment 587382
😮👏