Deviant build/follower glitch

adk hunter

Good evening,

So I have been really enjoying building my first rifle. Deviant LA mag BF. Prefit 300PRC, PEAK stock and Obendorf bottom metal.

The feeding is wonky!! sometimes the cartridges stack ok and feed alright mostly they don't and the third one will pop so hard it flys out and you run the bolt into a empty chamber. Now, this would be less than ideal WOOF!

Not sure the follower and defiance action are properly mated...Looks like there is a tab that needs to be ground off? Top or right in the photo.

tempImage2Og54V.png

Appreciate the advice!! I actually took the gun to my local and only gunsmith within three states to have him bed it but he is so far behind I am going to do it myself.

Otherwise, I would probably take it to him to cypher.
Thanks guys!

Did you buy the specific PRC follower? Also is that a wyatts mag box spring? If it is I have had to bend them together to get the rifles to feed, they have way too much pressure on the cases.

my guess right now is probably no and yes. There is definitely way too much spring. I am going to try the spring and flower from my 300 WM see if it is better. I'll look up what I got but don't remember specifically asking for the PRC. Thank you Danny

It's a Wyatt's follower. Call them up. They've been really helpful to me over the phone.

I had a similar problem when I built a 7mm08 on a Defiance anTi-X; the Wyatt's follower and spring was the problem. I replaced the spring and follower with Remington 700 OEM spring and follower I had in a box of parts, then the rifle fed perfectly. I would look for a Remington ultra mag follower and spring; that may fix the problem.

I have had lots of followers hang up from many manufacturers. Changing out the spring is the first step, some manufacturers have different grades of spring, some heavier and some lighter.
Also, a lot of cast followers really work best after they are de-burred and polished. Especially along the sides and too where the casting flash hangs up either on the box or cartridge itself.
Try compressing the spring to take out some of the curve, also make sure it is fitted correctly to both the follower and floorplate…have seen many installed incorrectly, even from the factory.
Good luck, hope you iron out the bumps and get it to feed consistently.

Cheers.

Recent Posts