DeLorme inreach

sp260

Any experience or opinions on this unit for navigation and communication?
Thanks Tim

I recently bought the InReach SE, but I have no experience with it yet. Based on most of the reviews that I have read (very many), it is a great tool for communication. For navigation, most reviews led me to believe it doesn't compare to a dedicated gps, like a Garmin I got mine strictly for communication, since the SE doesn't have the gps navigation feature.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Any experience or opinions on this unit for navigation and communication?
Thanks Tim

I had the same question about GPS, and asked Steve West of Steve Outdoors Adventures. Here is what he said.

"I am a big Garmin fan if it's just GPS but really anymore I carry my DeLorme inReach Explorer with two way satellite messaging and gps! "

He is not only a TV personality but has given me great advice in the past.

lightbulb.

I use the InReach Explorer and really like it. Combines satellite text messaging and GPS in one unit. Pairs easily with my cell phone app, and you can download satellite imagery for free to the app of anywhere you plan on going.

I've heard complaints of the gps features not being as powerful as a dedicated unit, and that may be true... But I've never seen the point of anybody needing all the features of the fancy GPS units. I'm out there to hunt, not stare at an electronic device. The explorer already does more than I need. I just want something to set waypoints and tell me how to get to any of those waypoints and how far away they are as well as have some sort of base-map of where I'm hunting to show trails. The explorer nails that.

I have emailed InReach about what maps are available/compatible with their system and received a nonsensical response essentially saying "Trust us. We have lots of maps available." but won't say which areas are covered or what quality they may be. I love the two way communication feature but don't want to jump in and buy the Explorer if the maps are not of a professional quality for Canadian locations (similar to Back Country Maps that are only available for Garmin). Can anyone let me know a link to what maps are available? Please?

Garmin bought Delorme. The new Garmin unit is a polished version of the explorer. It is supposed to have preloaded topo maps. I just ordered one. We'll see how it works out.

I use the text messaging version. Always works well. And it seems to communicate better than a sat phone. I found that with a sat phone calls would connect and drop before you got a communication finished. With the delorme i text a complete message and when it gets coverage ....bang a whole message gets through.

Take them with us on backcountry elk hunts and my wife loves the fact she can communicate if there is a emergency back home I don't use it for Nav it when I was checking it out one day I think it would get you back to camp but there is a lot better units than the Inreach for nav

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts