Decided on a custom reamer now another question...

crazyhorse

last week I posted a thread considering having a custom reamer made for future barrels in my 7RM. Due to the size of the mag box I can seat the bullets out far as practical and still feed from below. My goal is to shoot the 175 Berger Elite but the 175 ELDX and 160 Accubonds will be used as well.

After a bunch of really good responses here, I called PTG and they were very helpful in answering all of my questions. Long story short, I've decided to go ahead with the custom reamer. PTG advised to load some samples to my desired length and send them in and we would go from there.

My question here is they asked if I wanted the "Bore Rider Throat" saying it eased the transition of the bullet into the rifling. Anyone with any experience on this? Positive or negative opinions? It's roughly a $45 upgrade on the cost of having the reamer done.

Thanks!

It is said to be easier on bullets entering the lands, but because of the thinner amount of metal present, erosion is faster. If you're going to be shooting a lot, perhaps a standard 1 1/2 degree angle would be best. JMO

Makes sense... less lands, less material present for wear.

The 7RM isn't terribly tough on barrels by comparison to the STW or 28N but barrels aren't getting any cheaper! Likely go with the standard 1 1/2.

Thanks!

I use the bore rider throats on a few different cartridges. I used them basically on high pressure chamberings like my 7mm Ultra rogue , it does help considerable on pressure and i havent had any issues with wear or burning but that rifle only has about 400 rounds down it but it hasnt changed much on the BTO yet , i would say if you are planning on shooting a heavy bullet at higher pressures to get a bit more velocity it would be advantageous but with a lighter bullet 168< i would just go with a 1 1/2 degree lead.

Good info! I can definitely see the benefits of easing the transition as it relates to pressure spikes. I'm hoping to shoot the Berger 175 Elite which will be the heaviest one Id like to shoot. Anything over 175gr (In my mind) exceeds the capabilities of the 7RM and needs the STW, 28N velocities to get acceptable LR performance.
I've learned over the years, if you want 28N performance, build a 28N and stop abusing barrels and components trying to get it out of the 7RM.
For me personally, the 7RM is a great blend of power and performance without crossing the threshold into the "super magnum" world where the need for muzzle breaks and lots of powder become a reality.

this one I own, I cant distribute my 7 rsaum because I signed that I wouldnt. but dont mind the basic brass saying lapua on the print, it should say 300 RUM

Attachments

• 7mm Ultra Rogue Bore Rider Tim Bond 70768.pdf
    247.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.