CVA Wolf 50 cal ML

CjC73

Anyone have any experience with this ML? Looking to get one for my dad. He has an older Knight and would like something a bit easier to clean (he likes my Encore ML). Unfortunately an Encore is not within my budget at this time. Found this CVA with a no-tool breech removal and at a very reasonable cost. Most of the reviews seem positive but wanted to get some opinions from you all.

Also, does this ML allow for 150 gr magnum charges, not saying he's going to use that but just in case. I only use 100 gr in my Encore.

Thanks!

I picked up a couple for my children for starting out Elk hunting this year......For our intended uses, I have been completely happy with them. For less than $200.00 for a Stainless Muzzle loader, I'm not sure what else I could expect. For sure the breech plug is a HUGE plus for removal and cleaning......
The biggest down for me are the Factory sights which are Large Fiber optic beads (Which by the way need lock-tite BAD to keep from moving) Others in my family picked them up as well, and they are playing with sabots in them, but it didn't appear that they shot much better than my TC Maxi Ball's I cast so I have mainly stuck with them. (I think the sights are the limiting factor here) Shooting sitting with a shooting stick, my 10 year old son can put 3- 370 gr maxi-balls in 1.5" at 50 yards before recoil gets to him, and his groups start opening up.....I also was only cleaning about every 6 shots or so, so take that for what it's worth. Yes, they are rated for 150 gr of powder, but for me they seemed to shoot the heavy maxi's better at lower powder charge, and with the kids, I never pushed above 100 gr of Triple 7.....I settled at 85 grs for accuracy.
I really haven't pushed the range with them so I'm not going to speak to long range accuracy of them, especially with the large front dot, but it was fairly easy to ring the 8" gong at 100. I'm not sure what I'll do with them next......I 'd like to look into replacing the sights, but at the same time, I'm not sure how much money I want to sink into them. I guess it's kinda like anything these days, you get what you pay for.....I don't think that they will hold up long term like a higher dollar muzzle loader, but they work great for getting us out hunting on a budget! Hope this helps-If there is anything specific I can answer, let me know I'll try!

not worried about the open sights, he's able to use a scope where we hunt. And ML season is only about 10 days where we are. So sounds like a decent ML for the price, probably go with the stainless w/ camo stock with 1-pc scope mount for about $250.

And more than likely he won't be using over 100 gr of powder. I think he uses 2 pellets now.

Good ML for what you get. I had a couple of these in years past and they all shoot great. I used the Hornady SST bullets in mine with 2-50 gr 777 Pellets. With a scope it would produce groups of 1.5" at 100yds consistantly. Dropped a Whitetail in VA with it at 187 Yds. DRT.

The CVA's are awesome with BH209 , you do need to get the BH breechplug to ensure good ignition. I only wish the barrel came off for easier cleaning.

I use 2x50 gr or 2x60 gr of 777 pellets, a 250 gr SST, and Win 777 209 primer in mine. Very accurate with the 100 gr load. Bought it in Dec 2016 and used to take 2 doe in Jan 2017 with the 100 gr load and got a buck with it yesterday running the 120 gr load. Have hit everything I've aimed it at and the SST does a nice job. All have run 25-50 yards, but with very good blood trails. Can't ask for any more from a sub $200 ML. If you are thinking about it, go for it, you won't regret it.

Attachments

• Message_1543327153631.jpg
    Message_1543327153631.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 240
The CVA's are awesome with BH209 , you do need to get the BH breechplug to ensure good ignition. I only wish the barrel came off for easier cleaning.
. To take off the barrel unscrew the forearm screw and pull off the forearm. After that simply open the gun as if loading a primer and pull up on the barrel. It's just like taking apart any simple old break action shotgun. I have a cva wolf 50 ml and I have taken about ten deer with it using 100gr of 777 and 250 gr lead hp sabot. It's a great gun!

I have one and am very surprised at it's accuracy to 200 yards, which is usually the range the deer are at in my little hunting area. I use a couple white hots with a 200 gr. Shockwave and it's been pretty devistating on the insides of those I've introduced it into.

Cool... I went and bought one, ss with camo stock for $240. I like it so far but only got it in the mail a few days ago.

Getting ready to mount the scope and get it ready for muzzle season next week.

I'm shooting two White Hots behind a 250 grain Hornady Fex tip ML in my Wolf . So far it shoots great .

Aahh, I think you paid too much!

I bought a blued one at Walmart on close out after hunting season for $99, also bout a camo ss Optima on close out for $169, bolt like bh209 (with proper breach plug) and here in co, no sabots but they both shoot the fpb with 110 gr bh209, 300gr thors with 100gr bh209, and federal copper borelokt with 100gr bh209 very well... I upgrade to a fiber optic 2-dot rear peep or the seeall open sight since we cant use optics in co

I fire lapped the bore in the Optima and it helped slightly with cleaning and accuracy too. With a scope and the copper borelokt I can shoot 3 into 1/2" @ 100 yards, but I'm limited by my eyes for hunting season in Colorado due to no optics rules

Good for you ..good prices. I picked up a Savage Axis 30-06 for $199. And Savage is offering $60 rebate, so only $140!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.