Custom Winchester Builds lets see them

ramrod79

OK so I'm looking at building another Sherman chambered in a 338SS.
The issue I'm having is mag length and I want to stay short action but also want long throat that a Rem action with Wyatt's still cannot give me and I'm not a Tikka fan.
What i did find is a custom Model 70 257wsm to use as my Doner. I know the smith that put this one together and wow!!! So now all I have to do is get my 338 barrel spun up and order my game scout stock and I'm in business.
That all being said I'm a Rem action fan always have been always will. So let's see some custom long range Winchester's to change my mind.

IMG_20180616_201827080_HDR-1.jpg

28 Nosler Winchester Mag action. #5 fluted Rock Creek barrel, Lil Beast brake, McMillan Game Scout stock, Precision Hardcore rail with Burris XTR II 5X25X50 in Niteforce rings.

Also what's the options for s open mounting on the Winchester. On my 700s I run a Near Alpha hunter 10 moa very high quality one peice unit. Who makes a good quality 10-20 moa lightweight rail or lightweight one peice in 10-20 moa for winny.

Win70 push feed, 7mm Rem Mag, Black Hole Weapons 1:10 twist barrel, custom barrel nut by BHW, Choate varmint stock, Barret M468 brake. The US Optics ST-10 scope has since been replaced with a fixed 16x. This setup was specifically designed for 150-168gn bullets.

mjolnir_now.jpg

P.S. Black Hole Weapons is now Columbia River Arms and they will make pre-fits for Winchester M70 push feed guns. Mine was their first, sent them my old barrel so they could make sure to get the thread pitch and tenon depth right. I only use BHW/CRA barrels.

Thanks I'm Gona get KS Arms in Alberta to do my work this time my old smiths prices are out of this world now and after 3 builds with them no breaks either. I have been looking hard to find parts like the 700 action tho.

That's a sweet looking rig how's does it shoot.is you action nice and smooth is there any rattle in it like the 700s.
What stock is on it.

I don't know the weight as pictured but loaded with scope, rings, bipod, sling and cheekrest with extra ammo it's exactly 12 pounds. The only thing that I dislike about the rifle and by that I mean the short, fat 7mm WSM is that with the blindbox magazine it only holds 2 rounds.

The only other custom rifle I own is a RW Snyder Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor whose action is smoother, weighs a lot more and is more accurate.

Last edited:
Here's mine. Started life as a model 70 classic crf 25-06 and is now a 270 sherman with a Wyatt's box. I've had a little trouble getting it to feed well with the long box because I didn't have any formed brass to send with the parts to the smith but I've about got it dialed in. Shoots great though. I beleave Near will make you a base for that wsm action if you want to stick with them. He makes good stuff. I've got the extreme hardcore gear base on this one with the level bubble built in.
IMG_2448.JPG

Very nice how do you find your action for cyclying nice and smooth my 6.5 Sherman is off 700 it's like butter.
The 70 is a good smooth action also. It's not quite as nice though after doing the Wyatt's box because the bolt travels farther back and has less support in the raceway when fully open. The trigger is great too. All I did was a lighter spring and it's very respectable. Personally, I think the model 70 is fully as good as the rem 700 and I wouldn't be a bit scared of it. There's more aftermarket stuff available for the 700 but you don't need quite as much for a 70. I've got a custom 700 also and quite a few factory ones. I like them very well too.

Thanks for the replies switching actions is like switching barbers to me. Lol
But I'm glad to see some nice outfits on M 70 actions. I'm just assuming that it's slightly heavier than the 700. But if I use a 700 would have to be a long action so maybe not as much as I think. The safety will defiantly take some getting used to as well I really like the 700 thumb flick and your hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.