Crockpot Whitetail??

tbrice23

Does anyone care to share some good crockpot whitetail recipes?
I have been using the ham with cream of mushroom, onion soup mix, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms for several years.
It seems I'd like some variety in the crockpot.
Thanks in advance.

whole shoulder, potatoes, carrots and McCormick pot roast seasoning ,1/2 cup water or beer on low 6-8 hours

Big rump roast, 1 package Italian Dressing Seasoning, 1 can of beer, 2 jars of pepperoncini, 8-10 hours on low until it falls apart.

I'm a big fan of gravy, and have experimented a lot with slow-cooker recipes. I have been cooking wild meat for over 20yrs and I consider this the best pot roast recipe. Usually when I cook a roast of moose/elk/deer/beef in a pot, it goes something like this;

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220125/slow-cooker-beef-pot-roast/

This recipe is good on its own, but it is amazingly good when the veggies are strained and served on the side, and the drippings are added to a roux for gravy.

The big takeaways are;

-brown the meat (I use bacon grease)
-sautée the onions/mushrooms in the pan after the meat is browned. Add some extra flour and a bit of tomato paste. I'm convinced the tomato paste is magic (probably something to do with the acidity - I've tried ketchup, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes... Only tomato paste will do)
-use celery

I know it's a bit of extra work, compared with just throwing everything into a pot, but I dare you to try it. You will not be disappointed!

Top rump roast, cover the bottom of the slow cooker with onion and 1/4 cup water, salt and pepper the roast put on top of onion and water cook on low for 8 hours.

Front shoulder bones out, 1 sweet onion chopped, salt, pepper , 16 oz bottle of bbq sauce, I shot of Jack Daniels. 8 hours on low or until it pulls easy. Serve with Hawaiian rolls. Guys at work love it

Season to taste and slow cook till done. Remove and pull meat like u would a Boston butt removing unwanted tissue. Return meat to crockpot and dump in a bunch of jsck Daniels barbque sauce and cook another hour.

Does anyone care to share some good crockpot whitetail recipes?
I have been using the ham with cream of mushroom, onion soup mix, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms for several years.
It seems I'd like some variety in the crockpot.
Thanks in advance.

I came up with one a while ago,

(Steak, roast, stew meat,) Garlic, black pepper, salt, beef stock, red wine, cranberries, brown sugar, onions, cinamon stick or two ..etc, you take over from there pinch of this dash of that, served over white rice.

Last edited:
Another, it's for a dutch oven but could be done in a crock pot, this one I wrote down so it has better details.

3lb Steak, salt, pepper roll in flour and brown in skillet layer in CP
deglaze skillet with 1 1/2 Cup red wine add to CP
Saute garlic 3 cloves , 1 LG onion, celery, carrot add 2 T Italian seasoning (McCormick), 1 t Tyme add to CP
add 18 oz sliced uncooked mushrooms (LOTS no such thing as to many) add to CP
2 pks Lipton beef onion soup mix use GRAVY directions add to CP
1 cup Beef stock add to CP

When the meat breaks with a fork it's done.

About 2.5 to 3 lbs of Venison Roast, red potatoes cut in half, diced carrots, one whole onion, 4 celery sticks, 5 to 6 cloves of garlic or more if desired. 2 tbs of organic no salt seasoning,( I use the costco brand, you can use the original Mrs Dash instead). 1.5 tbs of beef bullion and 1 tbs of italian seasoning. One beer and fill up with water. Cook on low over night. You can add some cilantro to kick the flavor up a notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.