Coyote Quick Count

DLFant

In football on Offence we had a Quick count. When it was called we went to the line and the quarter back wouldn't say the usual (Down Set Hut) he would just lean over center and as soon as he did the center would hike the ball. The idea was to surprise the defense and catch them off guard. That's what happened to me today. I shot a dog on the previous stand. He come in pretty quickly at about the 10 min. mark. So on to the next stand I set the decoy and the E-caller up walked back to the hide, selected the sound ran the volume up, leaned in to my scope to get a look at everything thru it just in time to see a song dog run into my field of view. he was so close 30 feet I missed like a school girl, must have tripped over my skirt, any way I reached over and gabbed the shotgun and took 2 shots hitting him both times killing with the second. According to the time on the caller 40 seconds had elapsed. I have called varmints for about 40 years and that caught me by surprise!!! LOL I thought yall might get a kick out of that. Let me hear your experiences What is your quickest response?

Thought I was going to have to pull one off my buddy one day. Set up the caller on the edge of a field and we were on a little knoll in the edge of the trees. We split up wih him facing off he right side of the knoll and I was facing down the field longways. We were approx. 30 feet apart. Only called maybe 2 minutes when I saw one coming from about 350 yards. It 's path told me if I waited it would pass closer to my friend so I held my shot. My buddy was looking down at the call controller and did not see the yote cross the creek 100 yards in front of him and continue up the ridge behind us. I turned to throw a stick at my buddy to get his attention, as I was curious to why he didn't shoot. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement, it was the yote running down the point behind us, running right at us. We were both sitting in small depressions in the snow with just our chest and up visible. The yote was running directly at my buddy. I thought it may have seen his head move and assumed it was the source of the noise. I seriously thought the yote was going to jump on his back. I leaned my rifle against a tree in front of me and started to run towards him to pull it off of him. He heard it coming when it was only a few feet away and jumped. It must have scared the yote just as much and it ran right past him and turned on the afterburners crossing the field. My buddy fired his 22-250 and missed and shot again just barely creasing it's back right above the spine only catching skin. By this time I had made it back to my rifle and had just got it in the scope as his shot creased it. The impact of his shot made the yote slip in the snow, a fatal mistake, and my 7.62x54 ballistic tip nearly cut him in half. When all was said and done my buddy could reach and touch the tracks in the snow where the coyote passed him. It was an exciting day to say the least.

Several years ago my college roommate and I were backpack deer hunting in a wilderness area in Wyoming. This is not a story of quick response to calling but it was a close encounter.

We had sat down to rest as we were both packing 60 lb packs. I still had my frame pack on my back as I was leaning on it when I heard some leaves rustling in a small draw beside us. I pulled out a granola bar and commenced to eating when I saw a young coyote trotting toward me. As I watched him close the 30 yards I realized he was going to trott across my extended legs between my knees and ankles. As my mind raced I thought how cool that would be, until I realized that if his reaction was bad he could tear into me. So I waited until he was about 5 feet away and just said hello to him. He jumped and turned on the afterburners.

Pretty funny to watch.

That's an awesome stand!!! My personal fastest response was after two or maybe puffs into my first series of calls she totally caught me with my pants down, gun in my lap call to my lips. Managed to pull that one out of my rear and take her at about 60yd, without decent camo and the wind in my favor she'd have been in the next county in seconds. On that stand my partner in crime missed 3 shots at her mate between 70 and 200yd, I also managed a one in a million shot on the run at about 360 steps that too has yet to be out done. I still rib him hard every chance I get and it's still the talk of the night when we get together.
Great write up and best of luck on your next trip and happy hunting.

I love coyote hunting. I do seem to kill more when I'm in the stand deer hunting. Shot this one last year. This is my favorite kill so far just cuz I love the bow. That's the exit hole by the way. Was quartering to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 73
Went to do a contest in Oregon in Jan of 2012. We had just set up in some thick sage my buddy was to my right covering the downwind side. I set the call down walked back and turned on a rabbit distress. No kidding 15 seconds later I had a coyote dead at the call just 10 yds from us. She had to of been laying in the sage not 50 yds from us.

oregon7.jpg

My buddies come out deer hunting each year during muzzle loader season. Usually, it takes us the whole time they are here to find, shoot, and package their deer before they leave, but 3 years ago we were lucky enough to have gotten done early. We decided to go coyote calling.

We made our first stand of the morning on a small hill overlooking a 2 different wooded areas. I set up to call into the wind, he set up behind facing downwind. I checked with him to see if he was ready, and after the thumbs up I got on my call. After two wails from the mouth call I watch a dog start running at us. Quickly I dropped the call and got on the gun, but I was too slow. I got on the scope when it was within 30 yards, but still running to me. I filled the scope with fur, and pulled the trigger.

I must have grazed the dog on the belly, because it took off over the hill and never slowed down. My partner was looking to the other side as it ran into the second wooded area. I found a couple of drops of blood in the snow, but that was it. Never to be seen again.

Now when I start calling I always make sure I have my poop in a group from the git go!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.