Colt question

Oldschool280

Hello, does anybody know why the colt anaconda's are going for 3 grand? And the smith and wessons 686,629 are $1000 or less? I have little pistol experience and am hoping to change that. I was thinking of a nice sidearm for the field in 44 or 357. Black bear or feral hog being the largest expected encounter. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Re: Colt questio

Hello, does anybody know why the colt anaconda's are going for 3 grand? And the smith and wessons 686,629 are $1000 or less? I have little pistol experience and am hoping to change that. I was thinking of a nice sidearm for the field in 44 or 357. Black bear or feral hog being the largest expected encounter. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Market demand from collectors........the Python is going for 2=3x that amount!

You can go wrong with the S&W. IMO it's as good, if not better design then the Colt revolvers. I would opt for at least a 44 Mag for what you want.

Like Greyfox said collectors are buying them up I just sold a Colt King Cobra that i bought new for $430 in 97 for $1550. Luckily at that time the Colt was cheaper than the Smith 686 that I really wanted.

Custom Shop, produced only. That was years a go.gun)

Produced in the custom shop only. That is why the single action army goes for a mint.

avoid the collector items if it's going to be a field carry. get a nice used Ruger super redhawk 44mag and never worry about carrying a $3000 field gun. I have had a couple super redhawks and they're accurate, dependable and reasonably priced. Or even a regular redhawk with the 4" barrel, that would make a dandy field carry gun

Yep collector firearms are $$$. I suggest also that you get a S&W or Ruger 44 mag or 454. In the words of Bob Milek "if you plan on taking a 357 mag bear hunting take plenty of Vaseline." Bear pistols start with the number 4 in the caliber.

I brought my nickel plated Python in to a shop for poop & giggles to see what is was worth. The guy made a call went into the office and came back and said they did not want it since they would have to give me too much for it.

I liked the 5 1/2" 44 mag. Ruger Red Hawk I had better than the 29 S&W for the reason that I could tune it to my liking myself. Put Pachmayr grips on, changed the coil hammer spring to a medium weight Bullseye, polished up internal parts, changed the rear sight to a V-notch and put a gold bead front sight on and really made a nice hunting rig out of it. I was influenced by reading Bob Milek's stuff as to getting the 44 Red Hawk like his. Remember reading Bob's experience of shooting a black bear in the forehead at almost point blank range with the 357 mag and it only made it mad. Luckily he got a side angle and put his last bullet in the pistol through it's ear and killed it. Bob also influenced me to get into Contender pistols and start hunting with pistols. That was a long time ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts