Christensen rifles

mtank

I know they had some quality issues in the past but as of late seem to be on the right track. My question is are they worth the $$. I'm trying to stay under 3k total on the build & was thinking about putting a Leupold vx5 on top of a ridgeline model. Caliber is still a coin toss.

The ELR I have for sale shot .8 with no load development. Fit and finish are excellent for the price. Mine is for sale at 2200. Only selling to find another toy. I did have the chamber throated for the long and heavy bullets. Added a Wyatt box. Now it's a true ELR "extended long range" rifle

I've got three Christensens, two Ridgelines and an MPR. I also have a semi custom with a Christensen bbl.

The Ridgelines are chambered in 300 Win and 6.5 PRC both are shooting 1/2 MOA or better out to 600 yards. That said, they are factory rifles. The fit and finish isn't perfect, but for the price of less than $2K you're getting a:
-Custom remington clone with fluted bolt, M16 extractor, and dual ejectors.
- match grade carbon fiber barrel threaded w/ muzzle brake
- Trigger tech trigger
- carbon fiber composite stock

It'd be hard to build a custom with comparable parts for the same price. Often times you can find them for $1700 or less. My friend paid $1500 for his 300 Win NIB at Sportsman's.

I've not read up on the 6.5 PRC yet but I love 6.5s. How does it compare to the creed?

I've not read up on the 6.5 PRC yet but I love 6.5s. How does it compare to the creed?

The PRC is about 200-300 fps faster with the same bullets. It's the latest SAAMI approved short Mag. It was developed by George Gardner of GAP working alongside the Hornady team.

In regards to the PRC chambered Ridgeline. From what I've seen with my two Christensen PRCs, the Ridgeline and MPR, along with the results posted by others, it's a safe bet that will easily exceed it's accuracy guarantee.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about the barrel being match grade...

How so? What is your definition of a "Match Grade barrel". Christensen grades their barrels much like several barrel manufacturers. The have a "Match Barrel" that they use on the 1 MOA rifles and a "Select Match" that they use on their 1/2 MOA rifles.

My definition is more based on what the barrel produces. If it's capable of producing 1/2 MOA on a consistent basis, is hand lapped, and either button or cut rifled I have no reason to believe it's not "Match Grade". Of the four Christensen bbls I have in my safe and others I've loaded for, I've found them to shoot right with other manufacturers "Match Grade" hand lapped button barrels.

Last edited:
Speaking with Smiths and the one that I have here now that we are load developing. This one that we have here now copper fouled like no other barrel I have ever seen. We rarely see any copper fouling from brand new factory rifles let alone custom barrels. I spent a whole day shooting and cleaning this rifle to get the copper to finally stop.

I tried not to post but could not stop myself.

Speaking with Smiths and the one that I have here now that we are load developing. This one that we have here now copper fouled like no other barrel I have ever seen. We rarely see any copper fouling from brand new factory rifles let alone custom barrels. I spent a whole day shooting and cleaning this rifle to get the copper to finally stop.

Hmmmm.... I don't see a hint of copper in mine. I have seen a couple on the shelf with copper streaking at the muzzle from test fire, but the ones I own haven't been a problem. I didn't even do the recommended break in process with them either.

CA has really got their stuff together recently IMO. I'll be adding more to the stable but currently own a Ridgeline in 300 RUM and have been extremely impressed with everything from the fit and finish to accuracy. I broke the barrel in and found it to "break in" very quickly (well under 30 rounds if I recall correctly). I've shot several different loads through it and it has proven to be one of the easiest rifles to develop a load for. Half MOA or better inside 600 yards (as far as I've stretched it) with anything from a whitetail load shooting 150 partitions, to elk loads shooting 180 TTSX, 190 ABLR and 212 ELD-X. With the brake on, this thing kicks less than a dirty-thirty and isn't a brick to carry about the mountains either (9lbs with large Whiskey 5 scope). In the $1,700-$1,800 range if you can find one on sale, it's a steal in my book.

Ridgeline in 30 Nosler with 210 Grain nosler factory ammo at 300 yards in the rain. VX-5HD was the best I could afford and I'm very happy :D
I just upgraded to their titanium side discharge brake.

ED1184B7-6A35-47A3-951C-E28A04BED23C.jpeg
F9D66478-96AF-462F-BE29-07F0D04235CD.jpeg

I know they had some quality issues in the past but as of late seem to be on the right track. My question is are they worth the $$. I'm trying to stay under 3k total on the build & was thinking about putting a Leupold vx5 on top of a ridgeline model. Caliber is still a coin toss.
I'd look into the X-Bolt HC LR McMillan (updated twist rates), with a Zeiss V4 on top.

So is the fowling issue because of the copper used in "Hammer" bullets?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll be ordering a bunch as soon as I exhaust my current supply of 308, 30 Nosler and 338 Lapua cartriges and bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.