choke tube for remington 870

The best value I've found in a turkey choke is the Primos Tightwad in a .570 choke for a 20 gauge or a 660 in 12 gauge. Shoot great and not expensive.

i have been looking at that one as well at the jellyhead. I have been told by people that you have to spend a bunch of money on a choke tube for it to be a good one.

That's not true if you're talking about a choke for turkey that you're not going to shoot a whole lot. Those tightwads pattern as good as the expensive chokes, same dimentions, just not hardly as good metal. If you were duck hunting or pheasant hunting and shooting a ton you'd need the better choke, but not for turkey.

That's from Primos, I called and asked the difference between the jelly head and tight wad, It was only the metal. Mine pattern great.

I use a Kicks Gobblin Thunder 665 in my 870. I have a friend that swears by the Jeb's Choke. It's supposed to be the best, but it is expensive and really likes Heavi-Shot.

If you really want your turkey gun to perform check this site and do what he suggestNitro Ammunition Company ~ Superior Shotgun Ammo

Wow. Those are some impressive numbers they show, but I don't think I've ever been mad enough at a turkey to spend $10 a shot at them!

I use an Undertaker in my 870 for buckshot mostly, and heavy loads of birdshot. It does show a preference for buffered or copper plated shot, but I have been impressed as cheap as it is that it does so well.

Yea they are high but with a Rhino choke they perform better than the numbers Ray gives on his sight its like shooting little tight holes with a rifle a shotgun can perform also

I can't remeber which choke I have but it is a .665 for my mossberg It is old and the lettering is worn off. I think most do a pretty good job but in my experience it differs by the size of shot. I have excellent results with #6's
My brother shoots those nitro's at 10 bucks a pop in his Benelli and that's all it will shoot because an elephant could walk through the pattern with anything else.

Thanks

Buck

Yep it sure does make a difference which load and shot you use. I tried all kinds of loads and brands of #5 shot and could not get a good pattern with any choke. Switched to #6 shot and with most any of the .665 chokes it shoots so tight I had to put a scope on my 870 to make sure I would not miss at close range. I am using a Star Dot ported .665 choke with Winchester or Federal 2 oz high velocity 3 1/2" #6. Wipes out a turkeys head at 40 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts