Choke question

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
I ran across a good deal on a Benelli and when I looked down the barrel I saw threads that look in good condition and obviously a missing choke. My question is: Don't I have to put some type of choke in the barrel before I shoot it to protect the threads? It seems like that would be the right thing to do to me....

Thanks

Wellll, A half nelson would probably do it, but don't see how that would protect any threads....:D

First of all I am no expert, that's what I would do! Mainly answered because I waited almost a week for someone to answer the thread behind you. Just wanted you to know that someone (me) does read these! All the chokes on my one shotgun are externally threaded.

Good Luck!

Packrat.
Mouse.gif.........shotgun.gif

BB, all Benelli's come with chokes. The pump versions 3 and most autos 5. See if the seller has them. If not the Patternmaster choke performs great in my Benelli. Good luck

I just got the Benneli M4 it has a threaded choke, modified I believe, i didn't really look replaced it with a choke for Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote.

Replacing it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, you need a choke installed. Threads will get buggered up with no choke installed. Check out Briley, ver informative site and plenty of chokes for Benellis.

You definitely want to have a choke tube in there so you don't get plastic fouling on the threads. Also, your shot pattern would be horrible without a choke tube installed. Be careful when installing the choke tube, and verify the threads match, don't force it.

Check out the thread Coyote Shotgun Ammo and Choke Test. Hopefully this will help you quickly find the best combo for your gun. Be sure to take the time to site it in.

Yes you should have a choke but with lead shot maybe there was no harm and no foul.... HOWEVER, buy or borrow a factory choke and before you purchase the gun make certain factory choke tubes will in fact go in and out easily

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.