Cerakote, just a few questions????

Jeffrthehunter

I ordered some Cerakote "H" to paint a couple barreled actions. Instructions talk about baking for 2 hours at 300 degrees. Not sure i want to put my Defiance action through that much heat, any thoughts? I was thinking I would shoot for 200 to 220 degrees for 2 hours and hope the finish holds up. Also, can I mask off the internal parts of the action for spraying then remove tape and bake?

Thanks Jeff

Just remember what my Dad said.."If all else fails..Read the instructions!"
The manufacture knows how to get the best results!
300 degrees for SS isn't really that hot..

I ordered some Cerakote "H" to paint a couple barreled actions. Instructions talk about baking for 2 hours at 300 degrees. Not sure i want to put my Defiance action through that much heat, any thoughts? I was thinking I would shoot for 200 to 220 degrees for 2 hours and hope the finish holds up. Also, can I mask off the internal parts of the action for spraying then remove tape and bake?

Thanks Jeff
If you don't heat it it won't cure properly. You can buy an air cure like Duracoat or Gun cote air dry. You will get better results if your not going to heat it. Hell even rustoleum done right on SS is fine.

For masking the muzzle and breach I've used earplugs. They probably won't work for a magnum breach unless you have really big ears...:rolleyes:
Sounds like you already have the product, but they do make an optics grade that doesn't require heat to cure.

If you don't heat it it won't cure properly. You can buy an air cure like Duracoat or Gun cote air dry. You will get better results if your not going to heat it. Hell even rustoleum done right on SS is fine.
The instructions say that some material (polymer) only heat to 175 degrees. I am guessing you get some curing at lower temps. I am just trying to figure out what others do. Do they heat the barreled action to 300 or go a little lower?

The instructions say that some material (polymer) only heat to 175 degrees. I am guessing you get some curing at lower temps. I am just trying to figure out what others do. Do they heat the barreled action to 300 or go a little lower?
Shop I worked at made an oven out of a electric stove. They ran it at the temps for gun cote and I never heard of an issue. He also did color case hardening and some cryogenc cooling. That also needs to be brought back up to 300 degrees after the cooling on a set amount of time depending on the parts/materials being treated. His oven was set up to hang everything on wires

I've done the slide on a pistol, no problems ...pretty sure that cera-kote has done their homework since it's designed for coating actions and barrels.

They also have an air cure high heat (used it on a suppressor before) if you are that worried, it's not quite as durable as the standard heat cure but its rated for higher temps.

I don't know what kind of ss they use for barrels, but I do dabble in a bit of knife making. For the most part, 300 degrees is safe, but you can start to do some stress relieving at 300 depending on the type of steel. For the most part, ss doesn't change much until closer to 400.
That said, you do need to be careful if your using any type of radiant heat. You can heat objects well beyond the ambient air temp, so most ovens can cause problems when trying to keep consistent temps.
I do some heat treating with 1084 in my oven and works well, but I use fire bricks to shield the steel from the elements so I don't overheat my blade. I imagine you could do the same with an action.
Just don't let your steel have a direct line to the element if your using and electric oven, I can pretty much guarantee you'll get hotter than you mean to.

I don't know what kind of ss they use for barrels, but I do dabble in a bit of knife making. For the most part, 300 degrees is safe, but you can start to do some stress relieving at 300 depending on the type of steel. For the most part, ss doesn't change much until closer to 400.
That said, you do need to be careful if your using any type of radiant heat. You can heat objects well beyond the ambient air temp, so most ovens can cause problems when trying to keep consistent temps.
I do some heat treating with 1084 in my oven and works well, but I use fire bricks to shield the steel from the elements so I don't overheat my blade. I imagine you could do the same with an action.
Just don't let your steel have a direct line to the element if your using and electric oven, I can pretty much guarantee you'll get hotter than you mean to.
Thank you!

I've done the slide on a pistol, no problems ...pretty sure that cera-kote has done their homework since it's designed for coating actions and barrels.

They also have an air cure high heat (used it on a suppressor before) if you are that worried, it's not quite as durable as the standard heat cure but its rated for higher temps.

See below, wanted the "H" series for durability. Its a high end rifle and want to do it right.

H-Series Cerakote in our opinion is the toughest applied coating available and comes in a wide variety of colors. It can be applied to all metals, polymers, fiberglass and even optics. For the utmost in strength and toughness, H-Series Cerakote is cured at high temperatures, however for items such as fiberglass and optics it can be cured at a lower temperature for a longer period of time and still retain much of its high temperature cured properties.

Thanks Jeff
Cerakote is 250 for 2 hours or 300 for one hour and you will be fine. I have done 3 of my defiance actions and they came out perfect along with dozens of other rifles and pistols. You can go as low as 150 for 2 hours on polymer or wood.

Thanks Jeff
Yes you can use high heat tape and mask off any parts you dont want coated. They also sell silicon plugs for the bore and chamber area.

Cerakote is 250 for 2 hours or 300 for one hour and you will be fine. I have done 3 of my defiance actions and they came out perfect along with dozens of other rifles and pistols. You can go as low as 150 for 2 hours on polymer or wood.
Did you coat the raceways? <- I think that the right term??

Did you coat the raceways? <- I think that the right term??
Yes I coated the entire action inside and out. But absolutely do not coat the bolt body of a Defiance action. The tolerances are too tight. Even on a standard Remington 700 action if you cerakote the interior and the bolt body it will cause some drag. I use a little JB bore paste to smooth things up afterwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.