Browning X-Bolt Target Max Competition Lite information

Darryle

So, I had been wondering what exactly was different about the X-Bolt Target rifles versus the hunter or Long Range versions. I couldn't find what I wanted and there wasn't one locally, so I ordered one.

Here's what I know about this specific model

Browning X-Bolt Target Max Competition Lite

The stock is heavy, 48.7oz with the ARCA rail and LOP spacers. Rifle was a shade over 9lbs and installing it in the McMillan dropped a full pound off of the rifle. The action dropped right in and seated well, no discernable interference between the McMillan and the action, for exactly like you'd think.

The action is more robust above the stock lines, appears to be identical below, including the feed rails and screw spacing. The ejection port has a little more meat up top under the picatinny rail. The screws are a traditional 4 screw and pinned like alot of 700 clones. The recoil lug is pinned on the bottom of the action. Action has a traditional engraved logo on left side of the action.

The DLX trigger is fantastic for a factory out of the box trigger, half a turn out on the adjustment screw yielded a 1lb 15.1oz ten pull average, twice. I went up and down in weight and it repeated that same level of consistency. 2.87oz ten pull average twice, 1lb 10.3oz ten pull average twice, screw felt a little too loose for me at that weight. I finally settled on an even 2lbs ten pull average.

The bottom metal and MDT magazine was easily manipulated, dropped out easily and fed dummies well. I cannot say the same for the Magpul AICS, it was about .020" to fat front to back, the mold line was proud and made it almost impossible to get out of the bottom metal and seating it was a chore.

The Recoil Hawg muzzle brake was the newest version with the 4 ports up top and was a little fatter than previous heavy barrel versions.

Any questions, please ask.

Pictures, I cleaned up the bottom of the action prior to installing it in the new stock. Didn't get carried away cleaning the rest since I have to be up at 2:45ish in the morning.
IMG_3666.jpeg
IMG_3669.jpeg
IMG_3670.jpeg
IMG_3672.jpeg
IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

Well, every article is regurgitated nonsense from Browning, no one has a bad thing to say and every article seems to be written by the same individual.

We need a separate forum just for reviews of rifles, where a member can post a similar thread and then answer questions from the forum or provide pictures or feedback.

I don't like the picatinny rail, it's tall. I contacted Cameron Murphy expecting him to already have one, nope. I am sending him this one to copy in stainless.

FTR, didn't know about the Browning Tax Season rebate, that was a nice surprise.

Also, it's in @ButterBean's favorite cartridge.🤣🤣

In hindsight I wish I would have gotten the 6mm version.

Okay, more pictures and information. I received a text asking about swapping or ordering the AICS bottom metal onto a standard LR X-Bolt.

You cannot convert a standard rotary magazine action to the AICS, at least not without a modification to your action.

IMG_3691.jpeg
IMG_3692.jpeg

Notice the machined cuts, these allow the magazine to seat fully.

You also cannot go the other direction, the cuts allow the rotary magazine to seat too deep and cause feed issues and removing the magazine is a real pain.

IMG_3690.jpeg

The good news is the action is the exact same contour on the bottom, seats fully and has no movement. I will bed it anyhow.

The Competition Lite stock is in all appearances the same base stock as the other LR models with a slight change to accommodate the ARCA rail and the addition of QD swivels sockets in the left side of the stock.

Side note, picked up a X-Bolt OD Green Stalker 6.5 Creedmoor, 6lbs on the nose with a 22" sporter barrel and a Terminator T1 muzzle brake in place. This is a nice little package. Stocky's is in the process of making the X-Bolt a standard option for inlets, one of their 20oz Carbon VG stocks would make me happy.

Stock and more action pictures

IMG_3687.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg
IMG_3693.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg

IMG_3688.jpeg