Browning Hells Canyon Twist Rate

Jerry,

I definitely understand what you are saying. I had bought the 300 Win Savage Long Range hunter a few years back and didn't mind that it was heavy as it was being used in Tree stands in North Carolina and Va. Likle you, I didn't mind the heavy part of using it at all as the weight I feel adds accuracy and reduces felt recoil as you know.

Out west, with hiking up and down steep terrain and blow down trees and sometimes having to haul my camp on my back I try to shed as much weight as I can both on me and what I carry. Coming from NC too the altitude is also a challenge to deal with and you feel every extra ounce. But the last couple western hunts it seems like I usually manage to adapt somewhat to the altitude after a few days in.

In the pursuit of a light Elk rifle I also have to adapt financially. I start out hoping to find something suitable at around 500 or less but I'm picky too which gets in my way of being cheap. So after a few days of scouting the internet I view all the cheaper options but make the mistake of looking at the the more expensive rifles too like the Browning Hells canyon and even the Dakota brand rifles not to mention the Kimber, Tikka, Sako, Howa etc. Then the ones in the 500 dollar bracket or so don't look quite as good anymore. I start getting a case of pretty gun lust. LOL. Maybe I need a counsoler? Also this past Oct me and my gun stayed in a damp Tent for several days, I mean really damp with condensation on the wall and puddling along the inside edge of the tent after raining all night and part if the day. It got me to thinking about the need for Stainless or some other protecive stuff on my Western rifle as the one I took with me was starting to rust, again upping my potential cost of a Elk rifle. :confused: Well, strange as this may sound I gotta get off here and go bake a few pumpkin pies tonight for a early thanksgiving tomorrow with my family.

I took a trip into Cabelas today which was about a hour and a half away. Got to hold a Tikka and a couple Brownings. The Tikka felt super lite. The bolt worked fine though didn't feel precision but for the light weight and money still seemed like a good deal for the gun comparatively speaking. One of the Brownings was a 300 WM in the Hells Canyon speed version. It didn't feel heavy at all to me though it was definitely heavier than the Tikka. I really liked the feel of the gun and the looks! They didn't have a 7mm or a 28 in stock in either browning. They didn't have a 280 AI in the kimber and I initally wanted to hold a Kimber either way but somehow for got to while there.
I probably shouldn't have held the Hells canyon cause it may have just pushed up my spending limit another increment as I really like that darn thing!

If you are like me and plan to keep your rifles forever, then I would push your budget enough to get what you really want. I've got 5 Browning ABolts and XBolts so I am a bit biased in that direction.

Jerry,

You said " If you are like me and plan to keep your rifles forever". Well, I'm 68 so forever could come up on me most any time now. But I am somewhat that way or maybe I'm just too lazy to sell the one's I'm not using? I haven't sold any guns in a while but if I buy this gun I may try to sell the 300 WM Savage long range hunter if this next purchase makes it redundant even though it's the most accurate and powerful rifle I have.

As a average working joe I've always respected Browning products very much and regarded them as top of the line. But for the most part I've tried to be economical too so have mostly mid priced savages. I splurged awhile back and bought that savage long range hunter 300 Win Mag when they first came out so I spent most of a grand on it at the time but I see that it's come down quite a lot in price since then. A lot of folks buy a number of guns thinking they will hold their value but it don't often happen. But a gun at least often takes several generations to actually wear out so at least there is often still a lot of value left in a gun after many years.
But getting back to the subject. I have also been eyeing the Christiansen Arms Mesa light in 28 Nosler as it's in the same price range and weight range as the Hells Canyon. It also sounds like a winner from the reviews and youtube videos I've seen. Every gun I buy I think will likely be the last gun I buy but this one might actually be which is fine with me as I have more than I need anyway.
Terry

For what it's worth I bought the Browning Hells Canyon Speed in 28 Nosler. Browning had a 100 dollar rebate and the last day it was available was yesterday so at nearly midnight I purchased one through gunbroker which was the best price already that I'd seen for a new one. Per what i've read the speed has the 9 twist and weighs 6lb 10oz.
I don't plan on shooting heavier than 175 gn bullets with it so the 9 twist should be fine. I was a little reluctant to buy as Brass for it is expensive and hard to find but is available as I also purchased some early this AM. I held one recently at a Cabelas and liked the looks of it as well as the weight and feel. I also ordered some Redding dies. I just need to order some rounds. I will go ahead and order a box of loaded ammo as well to break it in and for the extra brass. If one is more budget minded I think the 7 mm Remington Magnum would serve well and be a good deal less expensive to shoot.
I may do some type of written review on it once i get it and get it fired up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts