Brake drum hibachi

made a hibachi today from a brake drum off a monte carlo i found down an old logging road.

its working great

i was shopping for a BBQ/smoker at home depot, i want one of those big mean ones made from a barrel, but i made this hibachi instead and im very pleased

grilling up mackeral and red potatoes.

hope someone outbthere appeeciates a good little hibachi for free made from thick iron.

im a mechanic/cook/blacksmith so im mot worried about potential automotive pollutants, ive got enough bad stuff im breathing in everyday, but im pretty sure i cleaned out any brake dust and oils

599A9AD2-DB13-4A3D-B56F-0005AF838951.jpeg
9B33AB9A-6E4E-465C-8C49-F9BE1C5AAC24.jpeg

im a mechanic/cook/blacksmith so im mot worried about potential automotive pollutants, ive got enough bad stuff im breathing in everyday, but im pretty sure i cleaned out any brake dust and oils

I'm sure you could run over it with a sand blaster if you were really wanting to get it clean.

How big a fish can I grill over a 15" drum off of a Pete? :D

I'm gonna rig up the brake drum into a rocket stove wood fired forge using local volcanic stone, then I can forge high carbon blades while grilling, and tenderize meat with my hammer and anvil, but I'm not going to tell anyone that when I sell them a knife....

Anyone want a custom blade?

Take a look at the Weber Smokey Mountain for smoker ideas. Been using one for over 15 years (18 inch). I take real good care of it.

The bottom vents are used to control heat, keep that in mind when you build a smoker. Top vent is always wide open.

A little late but going to smoke the Easter ham tomorrow. I will stick a Polder probe in ham with cord, measuring unit outside smoker on a little stand. I won't open smoker until ham at final temp.

Weber has a website, it's like a cult thing.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

Last edited:
I've worked at many restaurants with smokers and they were all homemade Frankensteined together contraptions, gonna check out that Weber site, you know the first Weber's were made from steel bouys found in farmers fields until a guy made a business based on it. I've got a lot of farms out here and I've seen some steel bouys and I always wonder why are there bouys so far from sea, reminds me of Odysseus, he asked how to finally find peace from the sea and he was instructed to grab a paddle and walk inland far from the coast, until there's no more evidence of sailers anywhere and to keep walking until he finds only farms and someone asks him why he's carrying that funny looking shovel, and there he would find peace from the sea. And those bouys remind me of that. Wanna make a grill from one someday, and ask the farmer why he has that welded shut Weber sitting in his cornfield and make an offer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.