Brace height on bows

Brace height has been covered above correctly..... I shoot Easton Axis 340's at 70# with a Muzzy 100 gr. Arrows are a huge part of the equation. There is so much that can happen in the split second your arrow hits...if the animal is spinning it can put stress on arrow, or if bow is out of tune, or a bad grip on bow handle, because if a awkward shooting postion can cause arrow to fishtail making stress on arrow on impact. An arrow flying straight and true, with a SHARP broadhead, should bury deep or pass through at most hunting ranges. I love Muzzys because when bone hits happen, they handle it very well. Poundage is great, but I started archery hunting with 45# and killed my first elk with a 50# bow at 60 yards. That arrow buried to the fletching. Also....shoot your broadheads at long range, they should fly in a perfect straight arc. If not, you should tune your broadheads.

Brace height has been covered above correctly..... I shoot Easton Axis 340's at 70# with a Muzzy 100 gr. Arrows are a huge part of the equation. There is so much that can happen in the split second your arrow hits...if the animal is spinning it can put stress on arrow, or if bow is out of tune, or a bad grip on bow handle, because if a awkward shooting postion can cause arrow to fishtail making stress on arrow on impact. An arrow flying straight and true, with a SHARP broadhead, should bury deep or pass through at most hunting ranges. I love Muzzys because when bone hits happen, they handle it very well. Poundage is great, but I started archery hunting with 45# and killed my first elk with a 50# bow at 60 yards. That arrow buried to the fletching. Also....shoot your broadheads at long range, they should fly in a perfect straight arc. If not, you should tune your broadheads.
Awesome! Thanks for the input! The muzzy's I used were new. Only shot them a couple times each to make sure my sights were true to them, not my field points.

I may ruffle some feathers with this comment, but in my experience if your field points aren't hitting the same spot as your broadheads your bow is Out Of Tune. I have never had a Broadhead that I couldn't get to hit the same as my field points with a little tweaking. One thing I like about muzzy's is the practice blades... My dad drove into me at a very early age that broadheads for hunting needed to be razor sharp and so I only use brand new blades for hunting. I shot Beman ICS hunters for a few years, and never recovered a unbroken one from an animal. They always seem to break, I assume from the animal running and it's shoulder hitting it.

Ckgworks is right on about broadheads. Not always, but the majority of the time if you're broadheads aren't consistent with the same weight field point, you're bow is not properly tuned. I should say this holds true with "quality" broadheads. Some are just crap and won't even fly consistently out of a perfectly tuned bow.
I know a lady who has swiftly killed 3 or 4 big mature Nilgai shooting a draw weight of 40#, FMJs and 100 grain German Kinetics. And Nilgai are one tough animal. It's all in the equipment, how well it is set up and most importantly, shot placement.

Agree with a lot of what is be said here...
I have killed several elk with a bow...ranges from 6' to 50 yards...
The correct weight arrow to the poundage and cam power is what should be considered....in other words...kinetic energy....
I always tried to stay above 400gr of arrow weight...most times my best shooting was at 415-420gr...with any bow speed...heavier arrows stay on the string longer in comparison to liteweight arrows...albeit not much...compare it to a rifle shooting 140gr vs 170gr bullets....
Muzzys are decent broadheads...killed a couple animals with them as well as many other broadheads....
Graphite arrows do break inside of animals...when the animal jumps or turns the arrows sometimes get snapped off between the ribs...the shoulder also snaps them... I have watched dying elk reach back and pull arrows out of themselves...it absolutely amazing what some animals do....
A correctly placed arrow will kill any critter...and some incorrectly placed arrows will also....
Some critters just take more convincing to fall over dead...even with rifles......
Figure it this way....all the practice you have put in...and you got to shoot your elk many times......sounds like lots of fun to me.....

From the bows I've tested and shot, moving from a 7" to 6" brace height is noticeable. Seven being easier. Moving from a 7" to a 6" is advancing from novice to intermediate. It does take a little more time and skill to master. For new to the sport shooters, I always recommend a 7". There are brands with models today that offer 7" brace heights with IBO speeds of over 330.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.