Boyd's Pro Varmint Stock

.30US

Have any of you used the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock for a rimfire? I saw one on a factory CZ .22 over the holidays and have been looking for something like it for my custom 77/22 for years. Thanks.

I put a Boyds Pro Varmint on my Savage Bmag since the factory plastic stock it came with is garbage.

The Pro Varmint has a familiar feel to it if you've ever shot a rifle with a A5 stock. It's certainly much better than the plastic *** my 17 WSM came with but keep in mind you get what you pay for. The wood these things are made from isn't very hard and I thought mine was pretty springy in the forend but you can't expect perfection for $130.

Attachments

• 17 WSM Pic (1).jpg
    17 WSM Pic (1).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 565
I enjoy my Pro Varmint a lot. It's great for bench or prone shooting. It wouldn't be so great for carrying for small game hunting and shoulder firing.

Mine seems fairly rigid. I bet I could balance it between a couple chairs and stand on it without it flexing much.

The forearm area is much fatter than a sporter style stock forearm. So if you have a standard rimfire contour barrel, the proportions might not look good.

I would buy another in a heartbeat, and probably will for a future project. Next time I don't think I will pay the extra for the adjustable comb option though. It doesn't adjust easy enough for me to want to mess with it whenever I need to clean the rifle, and if you don't move it it just gets in the way. Hope that helps!

.30, put one on a Savage 22-250. Got the Nutmeg laminate upgrade. Looks great and is very strong. You'll like it.

Got one on my 1022 and like it a lot. My buddy has the Boyd's blaster thumb hole on his and it is so comfortable to shoot. With I would have went with a thumb hole.

I've got a CZ455 that I pillared/bedded in a Pro Varmint, with a Lilja tapered 22lr barrel, shoots inside 1" at 100y with CCI SV on calm days. Excellent stock on & off the bench, including slinged/position shooting. Would not hesitate to do another.

I've used Pro Varmint on 10/22 and American Rimfires.

I like them so much that the last batch (2) was Walnut with adjustable check reset.

Nothing like it for the price.

I've used Pro Varmint on 10/22 and American Rimfires.

I like them so much that the last batch (2) was Walnut with adjustable check reset.

Nothing like it for the price.

How is the Boyd's Walnut? Decent figure? Or just blah looking walnut? I've always been curious about it. I tried to get them to send me pictures of finished stocks and they weren't willing to.

How is the Boyd's Walnut? Decent figure? Or just blah looking walnut? I've always been curious about it. I tried to get them to send me pictures of finished stocks and they weren't willing to.

Blah. But I didn't want laminate for this one.

40, Boyd's does offer higher grades walnut and a European walnut for more $$.

Thanks. Yeah I did see on their website that they offered higher grades of Walnut or Maple. However it's been almost impossible to come up with actual pictures of their real wood stocks.

I do like the Boyd's laminate stocks for what they are... For some reason ordering a Walnut stock from them feels like a risk on if I would be happy with it. So figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

40, call Boyd's at 605-996-5011. They have quite helpful and accommodating in the past.

40, call Boyd's at 605-996-5011. They have quite helpful and accommodating in the past.

They have been very very helpful every time I called.

Though there seems to be an oddity. Now it seems they won't ship "Thumb Hole" stocks to California but they are located in California.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.