Bow huntin' the finned critters!

Halfdoc

With the Sask regs not allowing us to hunt carp at night with the aid of lights, I have not been able to try something I always wanted to try. This was night bowfish fishing. Until recently! My family and I had a great 2 week trip to the sportsman's paradise of Louisiana. Here we filled our days with hunting and fishing. All of which were in ways we have never done here at home. This adventure took place at our buddies camp (cabin by sask terms,lol) at the coastal resort of Fourchon. It is right on the coast in the gulf of Mexico. It is surrounded by miles and miles of shallow fish filled bayous. The bottom is a mud base with oyster beds( I ate my weight of these,lol) and old Katrina trash being fish structure. Upon arrival we had to wet a quick line to secure supper of speckled trout.
P1050242.jpg

We relaxed abit before getting at the real activities. This gave Zach a chance to take in the sights,lol
P1050245.jpg

As per Halfdoc luck, we were faced with unseasonably cold and windy weather. Not good for shallow water sight fishing. With the first night of bowfishing being a bust, we had to put all our luck and hopes into our second night. The wind laid down a bit. Just enough for Delphine(camera women/my wife) myself and Louisiana buddies Drew and Jerred to try our luck. We piled into their 16 foot John boat that was equipped with a raised deck on the front. This deck was circled by big generator powered flood lights.The boat was powered by the very cool mud motor. This motor is like a grain auger motor that has a drive shaft to the prop. This drive system allows for motor operation in 1-2 inches of water! Very cool roaster tails off it when you hit shallow water,lol. The very cool night had us bundled up like were were going to sit the spring bear stands. The water had a slight chop,but was do able. I was amazed how the fish were not that spooked by our generator and running outboard. We powered over thousands of mullet fish looking for our target fish. The redfish and black drum. I dont want to ruin the whole show,lol but all I can say is the night bowfish fishing is WAY different then daylight,lol. This flatlander did hold his own though with a few good shots.
P1050259.jpg

P1050264.jpg

Having finished the editting for this show, I feel it should be a interesting show with some good laughs to boot.I hope you all enjoy it.

Sadly this place is under the black death of BP's oil spill now. My thoughts go out to my fellow sportsman there that share their home with me a couple times a year. A place my family consider our home south of the border.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good time and what fantastic fish. I've puttered around a few times in a mud motor john boat in the back bayous not too far from the cane fields. Got family that live in LA. Thanks for the pics and sharing your fishing adventure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.