Bow Hunter vs Grizzly….Just This Morning

Doesn't sound lucky according to the article. Sounds like he's unlucky.

Unlucky to get attack by a bear, and unlucky his weapon jammed.

Unjamming a firearm and getting a headshot while being torn up is more closer related to laser focus and dedication to survival. A mix of skill and instinct.

Doesn't sound lucky according to the article. Sounds like he's unlucky.

Unlucky to get attack by a bear, and unlucky his weapon jammed.

Unjamming a firearm and getting a headshot while being torn up is more closer related to laser focus and dedication to survival. A mix of skill and instinct.

Lucky in that he was able to get the semi-auto "back in the fight"!

A jammed or "out of battery" is one of several reasons that I'm a strong proponent of revolver use for bear defense! memtb

It's, a NON "issue" with, a properly Maintained / Tuned,.. Glock.
The 10 MM is,.. Minimum for, Grizz
Just let him Chew on the Muzzle of your Big 10 Glock, While pulling the trigger,.. SEVERAL times,.. DONE !
No need of, an Old tyme, Revolver,. LOL !
Bet that, Young man, "Up-Grades" to, a 10 MM , Glock, before,. Next Year !

Last edited:
Just let him Chew on the Muzzle of your Big 10 Glock, While pulling the trigger,.. SEVERAL times,.. DONE !
That may be true about a Glock….but my limited research indicates that a small amount of slide movement may not make it inoperable….but with enough movement will make it inoperable.

I for one, if found in a situation such as this man, do not want to find out! 😉 memtb

I Grease my Glock's, Carbide, Guide Rod's with, a combination of,. Cat Nip and Honey, so that the Bears can, suck on the Muzzle,.. a Long time !
Also Requires, a Bit heavier,. Guide Rod, Spring IF, the Honey gets, old !
I've NEVER had a Jam with, ANY of,.. my 3 Glock's and, I Reload for, them !
PS; I'd a, started shooting, AT that, Grizz, the minute,.. she turned her Head, to look at, Me,. at, 10 yards !
BEFORE,. the "Charge" !
And, I have No intention of, EVER, Letting a Bear get THAT close to My gun,. that they would, Jam / "Move", the Slide back, at,. All !

Last edited:
Staying absolute silent until a sow with Cubs got withing 10 yards...

I'm all for de listing, and kudos for getting a shot off with chompers in his leg. Staying still and quiet didn't work... no kidding... geez buddy. This is why toasters have warning labels to not shower with. Hard to walk past a trail head in the west that doesn't have a bear aware sign at the base. Can't remember a single one that starts with "stand absolutely silent until you spook a mother and cubs"....

Debate over the revolver vs 10mm should be a distant second too, for Pete sake don't put yourself that close to mama and you won't be so shocked by the sudden violence.

Hard to walk past a trail head in the west that doesn't have a bear aware sign at the base. Can't remember a single one that starts with "stand absolutely silent until you spook a mother and cubs"....
Well one can get bit following instructions on those signs, but its a fair point.

About the only way to be sure not to have an issue is look at sign, get back in car go home. Not foolproof either.

Story framing is the problem for me, the end focuses on this hard dig at delisting only occurring if a senators son or governors son gets hit.

There are a myriad of solid reasons why they need delisting, and even more reasons why the push for reintroduction of predators like wolves, cougars and Grizzly is bad. The least convincing reason is a dude from Georgia ignored the pervasive understanding of healthy bear interactions. With a self identified 300 yard lead, didn't implement any known methods nor made his weapon appropriately ready.

Society does need to re evaluate its relationship with big predators, but not because someone from their own account learned from the school of hard knocks. If a senator or governors son decided to try the "stay silent and be shocked when it goes wrong" method, I'd levy even harder criticism about knowing better.

Every aspect of life has risk, it goes up when you ignore established known norms. Sucks when that lesson is learned with stitches, but jeepers creepers it was a text book way on how to get your arse bit by a bear.

The article said that he did have a 10MM Glock. He just waited too long. He should have started making a lot of noise when they were first spotted. Once the smell of bear are in the area, the elk find somewhere else to hang out for a while. So it would not have affected his hunt, but going to the hospital sure does.

Article states he was shooting a 10 mm Glock and I don't imagine it's easy to get the Bear to cooperate and just CHEW on the muzzle.. .22 would work in that case!!

Article states he was shooting a 10 mm Glock and I don't imagine it's easy to get the Bear to cooperate and just CHEW on the muzzle.. .22 would work in that case!!
My Post WAS meant, as, a "Joke" ( My Dry sense of, Humor ) I don't put,. Cat Nip and Honey on,. My Glock, Guide Rods !
.22's are great for, Rattle Snakes,. NOT,. Bears ( NOT enough,.. Penetration ). Funny, I didn't see any mention of Cart. or, Gun used, in the Article.
( My reading "Skill's, must Be,.. declining ). NONE of, My 3 Glock's, have EVER,.. "Jammed".
My view on Bears, in Bear Country, IS to, Always, SEE them,.. FIRST ! Most Black Bears, CAN Be, scared Off,. Grizzlies, NOT, so Much !
My Family LIKES to Hunt, on the Central and WEST Sides of, Idaho because,. Blackie's ARE, Way more,.. "Friendly"

Last edited:
Lucky in that he was able to get the semi-auto "back in the fight"!

A jammed or "out of battery" is one of several reasons that I'm a strong proponent of revolver use for bear defense! memtb

I Grease my Glock's, Carbide, Guide Rod's with, a combination of,. Cat Nip and Honey, so that the Bears can, suck on the Muzzle,.. a Long time !
Also Requires, a Bit heavier,. Guide Rod, Spring IF, the Honey gets, old !
I've NEVER had a Jam with, ANY of,.. my 3 Glock's and, I Reload for, them !
PS; I'd a, started shooting, AT that, Grizz, the minute,.. she turned her Head, to look at, Me,. at, 10 yards !
BEFORE,. the "Charge" !
And, I have No intention of, EVER, Letting a Bear get THAT close to My gun,. that they would, Jam / "Move", the Slide back, at,. All !
It doesn't matter how ultimately reliable a Glock (or any other auto) is if the slide is pushed back just slightly out of battery or you get a bad round/light primer strike, whatever, you've got a failure to fire which is then a clearing which is difficult without two hands. That is the one absolute advantage to a double action revolver. A non-striker fired double action like say a Sig P220 would have a slight advantage in that situation if another hit to the primer would send the round as you don't have to reset the slide for another try. The bear "chewing on the muzzle" of any auto would still be inoperative if the slide goes back even slightly, not so on a revolver.

I can see the advantage of the 10mm Glock up until the bear has a hold of you then the revolver is the better tool. That article should be posted on all the "Best Bear Defense" threads though I suspect many would still not get it. Until a round hits the electrical system, the bear is not stopping.