Boresight Question Research, I need your Help participate!!!!

Is boresight important?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

samtello

I am creating an app that will use a smartphone to determine boresight. It will work on a scoped rifle, tactical optics and hunting/sniping scopes. It allows the user to do three things, bore scope in reference to the rifle chamber and store chamber location, record the sight setting after the rifle is zeroed and recall the sight setting and verify the setting using the rifle chamber. This means that you can check the zero any time you want or suspect that the sight setting has been disturbed.

Please participate in the survey. If there are other questions for a survey or about what I am doing please ask away. Thanks

The package will consist of an eyepiece mount for the scope and a chamber insert that goes into the rifle. The solution is determined by mathematical means. It relies on distance and direction to locate points kinda like surveying. Using distance and angles from the eyepiece of the scope the app will determine the line of sight through the scope and then locate the chamber insert.

The chamber insert location will be used for determining the height between the chamber and the scope. The app will ask the user what distance to boresight, let say 25 yards, the app will then display a dot that represents the intersect of the line of sight and the line of the bore as they intersect at 25 yards. Move your crosshairs to the dot and you are boresighted.

Once you are boresighted. You put the scope eyepiece adapter and the chamber insert away and go zero the rifle. Being that you boresighted by mathematical means with a precise scope height measurement the effect on target will be from the characteristics of the weapon, the bullet, (muzzle velocity) and round in flight. Whatever the deviation is you will move your crosshairs until you are zeroed. Take out the RecordFire package and at this point, you follow the same procedures as before except this time you tell the app you want to record zero, it will ask you to move the crosshairs on the app to the zeroed aimpoint on the scope. When you do this the app will know exactly how far the deviation is from the boresight intersect and record the deviation.

I could see where this could be a really handy tool to have. Also, how many scopes/rifle profiles will you be able to save/store in the app? Because most of us have quite a few in quite a few different calibers/cartridges.

I currently boresight using an old school style Bushnell boresighter with the different caliber diameter barrel rods, and also for AR's and pistols, I have a Sightmark green laser that is magnetic and centers itself on your bore, and shines a laser on the wall, and you just run your crosshairs over to it and it gets you close.

Last edited:
Sounds very cool. What will the cost be?

I bore sight like they did in the old country. Look down the barrel and line the cross hairs up on the barrel aim point. Some days are good some days not so good.

Steve
That's still the best method.
The reason it's not always perfect is barrel harmonics and load dynamics are variables that can't be predicted.

Bore sighting isn't supposed to be precise.
It's merely a starting point, whether you use a "app" or an eye.

That's still the best method.
The reason it's not always perfect is barrel harmonics and load dynamics are variables that can't be predicted.

Bore sighting isn't supposed to be precise.
It's merely a starting point, whether you use a "app" or an eye.
If this will get my starting point on paper at 200y more consistantly than my eye, it would be a good thing. Some days I do it well and some days I burn a few rounds getting it done. Wind up going back to 50 yards where I should have started in the first place.

Steve

Sounds very cool. What will the cost be?

I bore sight like they did in the old country. Look down the barrel and line the cross hairs up on the barrel aim point. Some days are good some days not so good.

Steve
Hey Steve I am thinking of doing a presale for beta testers of $55. That will come with the ability to store five rifles boresight, record zero and verification. The retail will be $85 and I plan to offer a $5 subscription per month with an additional rifle per month, I am thinking of the beta testers getting the subscription for free for the first 3 years. The presale will only be to 2500 users then it goes retail.

I could see where this could be a really handy tool to have. Also, how many scopes/rifle profiles will you be able to save/store in the app? Because most of us have quite a few in quite a few different calibers/cartridges.

I currently boresight using an old-school style Bushnell boresighter with the different caliber diameter barrel rods, and also for AR's and pistols, I have a Sightmark green laser that is magnetic and centers itself on your bore, and shines a laser on the wall, and you just run your crosshairs over to it and it gets you close.

Boresight with the app allows the app to determine the reference point, that being the rifle chamber. it is much the same way as old school as the line of bore is drawn through the chamber as the departure point. You will need the eyepiece adapter and the chamber insert along with the app. When the app camera looks through your scope it is no different as when you looked through the scope at the target and had to move the crosshairs to the target. The app can store different rifles calibers and scopes, it depends on the combination. Thanks for the feedback.

If this will get my starting point on paper at 200y more consistantly than my eye, it would be a good thing.
200 yards really isn't the best place to start firing the first rounds with a new set-up unless you have no other choice.

No "bore sighting" system is going to be reliably accurate at that distance. It's still based on variable data unique to each firearm and even climate conditions.

I'd consider it a slight improvement for guns that don't allow you to look through the bore. Otherwise I don't see it being worth the expense.

The OP's method requires chamber and scope adapters for each different cartridge, an "app" that likely isn't free, and a smart phone.

Technology is fun, and if people want to use some gadget, that's fine.

I've been doing it with nothing but an eyeball for well over 50 years and getting great results.

I wouldn't spend any money for it myself.

Boresight with the app allows the app to determine the reference point, that being the rifle chamber. it is much the same way as old school as the line of bore is drawn through the chamber as the departure point. You will need the eyepiece adapter and the chamber insert along with the app. When the app camera looks through your scope it is no different as when you looked through the scope at the target and had to move the crosshairs to the target. The app can store different rifles calibers and scopes, it depends on the combination. Thanks for the feedback.

200 yards really isn't the best place to start firing the first rounds with a new set-up unless you have no other choice.

No "bore sighting" system is going to be reliably accurate at that distance. It's still based on variable data unique to each firearm and even climate conditions.

I'd consider it a slight improvement for guns that don't allow you to look through the bore. Otherwise I don't see it being worth the expense.

The OP's method requires chamber and scope adapters for each different cartridge, an "app" that likely isn't free, and a smart phone.

Technology is fun, and if people want to use some gadget, that's fine.

I've been doing it with nothing but an eyeball for well over 50 years and getting great results.

I wouldn't spend any money for it myself.
[/QUOTtH
I think if you have been doing it for fifty years and getting great results that is awesome. Technology and uses for it are changing as for your system I would not change it either. The eyepiece adaptor is universal as is the chamber insert. I would be able to offer it in about 10 calibers but the price is insignificant if you are already getting what you need. Thanks for the feedback. This is not some gadget, I have been working on it for the last 16 years and I am using my experience as an Artilleryman for over 20 years as a backup it is based on the same technology that was used to make us the best Artillery in the free world.

Last edited:
This is not some gadget, I have been working on it for the last 16 years and I am using my experience as an Artilleryman for over 20 years as a backup it is based on the same technology that was used to make us the best Artillery in the free world.
I realize there have been great advances in technology over the last few decades.

I'm pretty sure though that once all the data is entered into to fire control system and it gives a solution, the next order is still "Fire for Effect" to see if it was correct.

Good luck with your project though.
I'm sure lots of people will buy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.