Boone and Crockett reticle

I recently put my VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 40 LR with B&C reticle on my Savage FCPK .223.
I am debating sending the scope in and putting a different reticle more suited to long range coyote hunting and having a ballistic turret installed while it's there. My question is which reticle would be best for this application?

I would seriously check out there varmint hunters reticle. The B&C imo is a nice reticle but is more suited for muzzle velocities of around 2900-3000 fps if im not mistaken.

If you're going to dial every shot with the new M1 turret on that Leupold then just a simple duplex reticle would work just fine or you might prefer a fine cross hair. Ranging and dialing is deadly on varmints if you can get them to hold still a second.

I recently put my VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 40 LR with B&C reticle on my Savage FCPK .223.
I am debating sending the scope in and putting a different reticle more suited to long range coyote hunting and having a ballistic turret installed while it's there. My question is which reticle would be best for this application?

I have the same scope on my Savage Predator in 22-250 that is my Coyote rifle, and have used it with my .223 AR. It's all about personal preference, but I wouldn't go through the bother of changing the Reticle or turrets for coyote hunting with this caliber. For coyotes with a 223 you are talking about shooting out to 500 yards or so. If you are going out way further, yes, you would need a change of reticle and/ or turrets. The thickness of the reticle is fine for coyotes at 500 yards. The reticle marks on the B&C when using a 223. 55gr v-max or similar load will work once you determine the hold points and can be quite dose to the listed ranges. I have found that ballistic turrets for this kind of hunting and range are not much of an advantage even if you have the time to use them, which is rare.

You can use the BC reticle to at least 1000 IF you use exbal and the reticle tool it has.

If you have the ballistic data for your round plug in and read the actual drops for your round at each mark.

You simply plug in the reticle spacing from Leupold at the designated power for that model scope and then use the reticle tool to enter other powers and it will get the ranges on the drops for each power you select.

Simple 3x5 card with power and yardages for each mark is all that is needed or you can put tape on side of stock.

Exbal with the reticle tool will work with ANY BDC type scope and it is very accurate.

I have had Leupod put several Varmint Hunter reticles in for me. I think you would like it. It also has the wind hold offs.

I too prefer the VH reticle given the Leupold choices. However, I do not think I would go through the trouble of changing it if I had a target turret installed. I click if I can. I use the holdovers on various reticles mildot, varmint hunter, b&c and BDC out to 400 or 500 depending on the caliber if I do not have time to click. I have cards made up for each that are in my hunting bag, depending on what rifle I have, I grab the card and go. I have two rigs that I go out to 1000 and beyond. Those I use my apps for. If I have one of the others, I use the laminated cards in my bag. If I were going to have a dream reticle in all my rigs it would be MOA reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts