Boo-Ya! The Local Coyotes Are In TROUBLE!

Big Sky

SPONSOR
I bought a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator Rifle in .204 Ruger back in March. I just finally got around to sighting it in yesterday evening. I know, I know, I should've got'r done a long time ago, but finding time and good wind conditions is not easy around here. Besides, usually when the wind is calm enough for me to sight in a rifle I end up going coyote calling instead. Anyway, I have a twin to this .204 in a 22-250 and it has accounted for several large piles of dead coyotes. While the 22-250 kills coyotes dead "right now". It often kills my chances of recovering a few dollars for its hide. It is not a fur friendly round. So I bought the .204 as a more fur friendly rifle. The is always some apprehension when buying a new rifle and wondering whether it's going to shoot well or not. While the Ruger Predator isn't as expensive as a full blown custom rifle, it's not exactly cheap at around $800.00 either. Once I got my rifle sighted in, I decided to try for a group. Here is the very first 3 shot group @ 100 yards using 40gr Vmax. Needless to say I am a very happy camper. I wouldn't want to be a coyote around me this winter. ;)
group1_zpsab0286ae.jpg

It can literally be covered with a dime and room to spare. Who needs a $3000.00+ custom rifle with groups like this? Okay before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I love custom rifles, but a nice surprise like this from a factory rifle gets me giddy.
group2_zps2aab8334.jpg

Nice! Happy to see someone else having good results with this setup. I just bought a Hawkeye predator in 223 to hopefully serve as my primary varmint rig. I'm not a great shot by any means but I got sub moa with 55gr fmjs. That was just to get it out and give it a try, now it's time to get some coyote loads zeroed and bust some dogs. Good luck.

11 year old thread, but old model rifle:

Nice! Happy to see someone else having good results with this setup. I just bought a Hawkeye predator in 223 to hopefully serve as my primary varmint rig. I'm not a great shot by any means but I got sub moa with 55gr fmjs. That was just to get it out and give it a try, now it's time to get some coyote loads zeroed and bust some dogs. Good luck.

How did you like the Hawkeye Predator?

I'm reading mixed reviews on the trigger.
I'm not so sure the twist rate is proper in 223 but I don't have any field experience with 223 hunting bullets.
FMJ on coyote to save pelts?

I thought 62gr was "heavy" for caliber and that was most compatible with a 1:7, I read the Hawkeye in 223 is 1:9

Last edited:
I bought a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator Rifle in .204 Ruger back in March. I just finally got around to sighting it in yesterday evening. I know, I know, I should've got'r done a long time ago, but finding time and good wind conditions is not easy around here. Besides, usually when the wind is calm enough for me to sight in a rifle I end up going coyote calling instead. Anyway, I have a twin to this .204 in a 22-250 and it has accounted for several large piles of dead coyotes. While the 22-250 kills coyotes dead "right now". It often kills my chances of recovering a few dollars for its hide. It is not a fur friendly round. So I bought the .204 as a more fur friendly rifle. The is always some apprehension when buying a new rifle and wondering whether it's going to shoot well or not. While the Ruger Predator isn't as expensive as a full blown custom rifle, it's not exactly cheap at around $800.00 either. Once I got my rifle sighted in, I decided to try for a group. Here is the very first 3 shot group @ 100 yards using 40gr Vmax. Needless to say I am a very happy camper. I wouldn't want to be a coyote around me this winter. ;)
group1_zpsab0286ae.jpg

It can literally be covered with a dime and room to spare. Who needs a $3000.00+ custom rifle with groups like this? Okay before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I love custom rifles, but a nice surprise like this from a factory rifle gets me giddy.
group2_zps2aab8334.jpg
Great shooting , high dollar rifles don't always equate to fine shooting my 204 was $500 Thompson Center Venture,1 in 10 nothing on the planet in that caliber would embarrass me,looks like you hit paydirt, you'll sell the 250 soon,I did.

I thought it was interesting to read Ruger spaced the mag box on the predator for 223 for its shorter COAL. Since the actions longer for other caliber offerings your carrying some dead weight on that Rifle.

But I don't like the other model offerings ergos; "mini mausers". It IS really cool that they made a proprietary action for the 223 length cartridge though.

somebody call a wambulance for those poor dogs......
"isn't somebody going to help those poor dogs ? " :cool: