Bobcats

flowhnun63

I have been seeing a big very nice bobcat, very spotted with good markings on my property. I have pics on two of my trail cams. I have hunted deer, squirrel, coyotes, ducks, you name it i have hunted it. I would like to start trapping. This seems like a new challenge but im green. I have watched about 50 video's on youtube about trapping. Im interested in trapping this bobcat and a few coyotes ive been seeing. My question is.... what is the best way to catch this cat and what is the best bait.
I bought a few foot traps and a half dozen snares. The foot traps are #3 duke traps. I dont know if this is the best or not.
Any advice would be appreciated. A couple of years ago a buddy( he bought a trappers license) and I set a snare on a random trail not knowing what was using it. We caught a bobcat the very first night. We were so pumped i cant tell you.
Now i would like to catch this one in particular. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have been seeing a big very nice bobcat, very spotted with good markings on my property. I have pics on two of my trail cams. I have hunted deer, squirrel, coyotes, ducks, you name it i have hunted it. I would like to start trapping. This seems like a new challenge but im green. I have watched about 50 video's on youtube about trapping. Im interested in trapping this bobcat and a few coyotes ive been seeing. My question is.... what is the best way to catch this cat and what is the best bait.
I bought a few foot traps and a half dozen snares. The foot traps are #3 duke traps. I dont know if this is the best or not.
Any advice would be appreciated. A couple of years ago a buddy( he bought a trappers license) and I set a snare on a random trail not knowing what was using it. We caught a bobcat the very first night. We were so pumped i cant tell you.
Now i would like to catch this one in particular. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a lot of trapping/snaring experience. PM me & I will help all I can.
Thanks, Kirk

Bobcats are COOL BEANS. I grew up around them in southern Arkansas. My best friend and I used to track them and watch their antics chasing bunnies the few times we had snow on the ground. Very pretty animals but I never cared to hunt them. Good luck as they are very hard to hunt. You can call them in if you are very patient and very good with a call.

Have you ever heard of HECS Camo if not you need to check it out for Bobcats.
Check out the video using HECS CAMO calling in a Bobcat in daylight below.

Last edited:
The cubby hole set work best in my area. Hang a feather or bird wing from some fishing line about 3' above the set to attract the bobcat. Place the trap so the bobcat has to step on it as it enters the set. Place chunks of meat in the back of the set and make the set so the bobcat has to crawl into it to get to the meat. Place an attractant / lure on the set above the meat. A mink, shunk, bobcat urine, etc are good for this.
Use the largest foot hold trap that is legal in your state. Here in Georgia, foothold traps are limited to a 5-3/4" inside jaw opening. I use the Jake Traps by J.C. Connors, they can not be beat for bobcats, coyotes, foxes and raccoons. The Duke #3 if modified can be a good bobcat and coyote trap. They are a little slow closing, the jaws are really rough on and animal and a coyote will really mess up the springs and chain attachments. Whichever foothold trap that is used, definitely install a shock spring on the chain and stake it in the ground really well. A coyote will pull a lot and can pull a stack up really quick. A bobcat caught in a foothold trap will usually try to hide in the brush. Usually will want to use a longer chain in a cubby set so when a bobcat get in the trap it will not destroy the set and it gives it more room to move around.

Bobcats are COOL BEANS. I grew up around them in southern Arkansas. My best friend and I used to track them and watch their antics chasing bunnies the few times we had snow on the ground. Very pretty animals but I never cared to hunt them. Good luck as they are very hard to hunt. You can call them in if you are very patient and very good with a call.

That was an amazing video! I've killed a bobcat before. I can mark it off my "bucket list." It's definitely the first and last time I ever do that. Really cool animals.

This is my home girl bobcat. A wild semi pet as easy going as it gets. On the porch in the shade where she likes it
Jan cat 001.JPG
Her daughter born here , spring of 19 also calls this home base. Fantastic personalities.

Attachments

• Cat 003.JPG
    Cat 003.JPG
    734.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Yes I've heard of them and I own a pair I dozed off while hunting one day when I woke up there was a deer 4 feet to my right looking at me

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.